Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 19/08/2011, 07:01 AM

Default Question about MBTI and Socionics difference

I'm confused about the relationship between Myers-Briggs and Socionics. Mostly I'm unsure about the difference between Myers-Briggs P/J and Socionics p/j. Is a Myers-Briggs Perceiver comparable to a Socionics Perceiver or Judger? I'm asking this because in Myers-Briggs the most compatible relationships are generally said to occur between opposite (Socionics term conflicting) relationships, i.e. INFP and ESTJ, whereas in Socionics the most compatible are said to occur between duals, i.e. INFP and ESTP.

I'm new to the forums so I hope this is alright...
Old 19/08/2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I'm confused about the relationship between Myers-Briggs and Socionics. Mostly I'm unsure about the difference between Myers-Briggs P/J and Socionics p/j. Is a Myers-Briggs Perceiver comparable to a Socionics Perceiver or Judger? I'm asking this because in Myers-Briggs the most compatible relationships are generally said to occur between opposite (Socionics term conflicting) relationships, i.e. INFP and ESTJ, whereas in Socionics the most compatible are said to occur between duals, i.e. INFP and ESTP.

I'm new to the forums so I hope this is alright...
The order in which the Information elements appear in the two theories differ.
As such in theory there should be a j/p witch within the intraverted types. However in practice this tends not to be the case. Most advocates think the Myerss Briggs theory is a bit muddled and as far as I'm aware there is no real theory wtih regards to intertype relationships.

Socionics has a very clear theory which is based on complimentality and conflict of IMs as they appear in the Psyche e.g. compliments and conflicts with and .

I think there is quite a good article explaining of the diffeerence between Judging and Perceiving somewhere on this site. otherwise, the wiki has some good stuff
www.wikisocion.org
Old 19/08/2011, 11:50 PM

Actually in MBTI apart from "based on observation" I haven't seen any sound explanation of why such and such types are in such and such relations with each other.

I think the reason for this is because as soon as they try to explain it through functions interaction it all falls apart because of lack of solid structure and mostly because of strange MBTI J/P definition.
Old 12/12/2011, 03:37 PM

[quote=Biff;25001]Is a Myers-Briggs Perceiver comparable to a Socionics Perceiver or Judger? I'm asking this because in Myers-Briggs the most compatible relationships are generally said to occur between opposite (Socionics term conflicting) relationships, i.e. INFP and ESTJ, whereas in Socionics the most compatible are said to occur between duals, i.e. INFP and ESTP.quote]

MBTI has put the Introverts as the J/P opposite. So, in theory you just think them the other way around. But in practice there is no INTp in MBTI as their INTJ is a scientist, and the MBTI INTP is a Ti Ne.

The relationships is about chemistry and what one is doing in one's life and they don't both happen to all people as together, just to some lucky one's I think, and even then there is no major rational relationship with some NF if one is an NT and one is to understand that before doing so.

The opposites are many, e.g. INTP's opposite is neither ESFP nor ESFJ but more like INFJ. ESFP having nt and sf (homo), and ESFJ having si, ni and te, fe (homo). But it doesn't mean the INFJ is the most fitting, thinking of communications (has just the Ns) and doings (has just the Ns and Is).