Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 02/07/2010, 11:09 AM
Gone on holiday...

Default Quick reaction times

I'm wondering if quick reaction times in the real world is an S thing over an N thing.

Maybe I can give you some examples:

This morning while I was walking towards my destination, a woman was approaching me, she managed to stumble on the ground, and started stumbling forward loosing control of her balance. Instantly I was able to put my arm out to catch her and prevented her from falling and resulting in potentially a nasty injury (she was maybe about 50).

Before on an afternoon out, a thief tried to take the bag of someone in our company while we were sitting at an outdoor table preparing to order food. I saw it and instantly jumped out of my seat and confronted the person before he was able to take it. I didn't physically push him or anything, I just got up very quickly and positioned my body in front of his.

Another example is in a chemistry lab, where a guy caught the sleeve from his labcoat on fire from a bunsen burner and he didn't realise it. I spotted it and directed him swiftly over to a sink and turning on the tap to prevent the fire getting a chance to spread.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the last one is a bit extreme, i'm not sure if i'm John Rambo, but that I seem to notice these things quickly suggests in demonstrating an awareness of the environment.

I'm wondering if N types react quickly like this, or is such a thing S? It also occured to me that S types may be able to see these things but decide not to act on them.

I'm curious then if it's really true that S types have a better awareness of the environment than N types.

Last edited by Cyclops; 02/07/2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02/07/2010, 01:46 PM
Quarantined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I'm curious then if it's really true that S types have a better awareness of the environment than N types.
I think so.

I also think S types are far more likely to be effective in the examples you give.

Would you like you for a child?
Old 02/07/2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if quick reaction times in the real world is an S thing over an N thing.
Nothing to do with it. Some people think and act fast, some are dead slow. Depends on a person.
Old 02/07/2010, 03:58 PM

I think so too. I rarely notice things in the environment (being an N type). For example I've been living in the same area for all of my life and I barely noticed the clock on the mayoralty building nearby a few years ago. I was astonished when my cousin showed me the clock.. I wasn't expecting it to be there!
Old 02/07/2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG View Post
Nothing to do with it. Some people think and act fast, some are dead slow. Depends on a person.
ST's ae gifted this way. Give us something! We sure aren't quick at planning, or understanding BIG picture concepts.
Old 02/07/2010, 09:16 PM

Cyclops, not only that you react quick, but you're making the right decisions in order for others not to get harmed. That's very Rambo-ish, true!
It reminds me of my ISTp ex, who once protected me form an unleashed dog who was coming my way. (rambling...)
Old 03/07/2010, 12:23 PM

I'm an N type and can be rather oblivious to my surroundings when I'm focusing on a task or turning something over in my head. Other times I might sit and watch events unfold rather than involve myself in them.

However, I usually manage to grab dropped items before they hit the ground, I instinctively know how to fall safely on those very rare occasions when I actually do take a spill (including mountain bike crashes and roofing mishaps), and I don't hesitate to take control in threatening situations like bar brawls or dog attacks.

So, I don't think this has much to do with the N/S axis.
Old 04/07/2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Maybe I can give you some examples:

This morning while I was walking towards my destination, a woman was approaching me, she managed to stumble on the ground, and started stumbling forward loosing control of her balance. Instantly I was able to put my arm out to catch her and prevented her from falling and resulting in potentially a nasty injury (she was maybe about 50).

Before on an afternoon out, a thief tried to take the bag of someone in our company while we were sitting at an outdoor table preparing to order food. I saw it and instantly jumped out of my seat and confronted the person before he was able to take it. I didn't physically push him or anything, I just got up very quickly and positioned my body in front of his.

Another example is in a chemistry lab, where a guy caught the sleeve from his labcoat on fire from a bunsen burner and he didn't realise it. I spotted it and directed him swiftly over to a sink and turning on the tap to prevent the fire getting a chance to spread.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the last one is a bit extreme, i'm not sure if i'm John Rambo, but that I seem to notice these things quickly suggests in demonstrating an awareness of the environment.

I'm wondering if N types react quickly like this, or is such a thing S? It also occured to me that S types may be able to see these things but decide not to act on them.

I think it's an Si thing.
Old 06/07/2010, 07:33 AM

I've noticed that Si-dominants notice alot of details in their environments and so it would seem they would pick up on the stuff that you mentioned Cyclops.

EXAMPLE:

an ISFp coworker and I were watching a movie (Avatar) together at a mutual friend's house and out of no where she makes the observation that the Avatars only have 3 fingers, or something like that. Anyway, I hadn't noticed that, 'cause all I cared about was the story line, sooo when she mentioned that, I spent a good 20 mins waiting to see a good shot of their hands, and sure enough they had a few less fingers than us.

I think that Se-dominants only notice things that are useful to whatever goal they want to accomplish.

(and I know it's not the greatest example, but it's the only one I could think of off the top of my head)
Old 11/07/2010, 09:29 PM

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head. I have noticed that S people tend to notice physical things more than N people, in my experience. The only "good reaction time" story I can think of at the moment is this: I was hanging out with some of my friends at a conference when I decided to slide down a handrail on some stairs. The landing wasn't particularly graceful, but thankfully my ESFp buddy managed to catch me before I did a total faceplant, lol.
Other than that, mostly I notice that S types tend to bump into a lot less things than my mom (LII) and I (IEE) do.
Old 12/07/2010, 08:09 PM

Just want to make a correction: the ISFp girl is actually INFp.