Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 09/05/2011, 08:33 PM
Gone on holiday...

Default Is this the real reason for the Libya conflict?

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB6MJnzhMYY

TIP: How to embed a YouTube video...

This video puts forward the theory that the Libya invasion was motivated by Gaddafi's intent to create a gold-backed currency.

Consequences:

Africa has more gold (mined and unmined) than the West.

This would empower Africa as they would have a wealthy available currency. They would produce a high standard of living.

The Western nations have less gold so they would have less wealth. The paper currencies would become more irrelevant as it will not trade for real commodities.

The rich countries and rich individuals would become poorer and have less influence, while Africa would become empowered, self sustaining and end poverty.

Last edited by Cyclops; 09/05/2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10/05/2011, 11:19 PM

Haven't heard or seen any cogently evidences that'd back this theory. But one is for sure, this video is food for CT-freaks. lol

Generally, whether Governments are willing to intervene militarily depends on their "national interests", some even play with this dramatic "national security" card at times.

Initially, this mission was about protecting the opposition in Libya and as such prevent the Gaddafi regime from cracking down on them in the hope that the opposition will topple Gaddafi. Since this's turned out to be more different than hoped some forces are certainly more than happy having finally found/got a reason to "assist" toppling Gaddafi either way.

Sarkozy's eagerness and determination to step in and push this through came accross to me as a muscle flexing thingy ... a demonstration of power, so to speak, towards his allies. Without his initiative I doubt a military intervention would've happened. A humanitarian mission? I think it's just sold that way which is a nice side-effect, isn't it? Main job, using the chance of getting rid of Gaddafi. Finally! Even if everyone denies that. *cough!

But whatever the real reason was and whatever intent Gaddafi might have had ... WikiLeaks will leak it in a month or so.
Old 11/05/2011, 01:18 PM
Gone on holiday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
Haven't heard or seen any cogently evidences that'd back this theory. But one is for sure, this video is food for CT-freaks. lol

Generally, whether Governments are willing to intervene militarily depends on their "national interests", some even play with this dramatic "national security" card at times.

Initially, this mission was about protecting the opposition in Libya and as such prevent the Gaddafi regime from cracking down on them in the hope that the opposition will topple Gaddafi. Since this's turned out to be more different than hoped some forces are certainly more than happy having finally found/got a reason to "assist" toppling Gaddafi either way.

Sarkozy's eagerness and determination to step in and push this through came accross to me as a muscle flexing thingy ... a demonstration of power, so to speak, towards his allies. Without his initiative I doubt a military intervention would've happened. A humanitarian mission? I think it's just sold that way which is a nice side-effect, isn't it? Main job, using the chance of getting rid of Gaddafi. Finally! Even if everyone denies that. *cough!

But whatever the real reason was and whatever intent Gaddafi might have had ... WikiLeaks will leak it in a month or so.
Wish I knew what's changed for Libya to move from an 'ally' to enemy, as up until recently the UK have been supplying Libya with miltary hardware and training.

Of course now that the rebels have admitted they have links with al-qaeda and that they contain some of the same people who've fought the allies in Afghanistan then it makes perfect sense to help them into power
Old 11/05/2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Wish I knew what's changed for Libya to move from an 'ally' to enemy, as up until recently the UK have been supplying Libya with miltary hardware and training.
Well, I think Gaddafi has been a thorn in other governments side since a very long time. So, what if Gaddafi's approach towards the opposition was just the straw that broke the camel's back...
... and the good thing with supplying such regimes with military hardward and training is, if it comes to the crunch one at least knows what equipement they possess and how capable they are and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Of course now that the rebels have admitted they have links with al-qaeda and that they contain some of the same people who've fought the allies in Afghanistan then it makes perfect sense to help them into power
Sarcasm, huh? lol
One probably can't dismiss that certain individuals amongst the opposition have links to AQ, the reason why I would not provide them weapons, but I highly doubt that the vast majority of the opposition has links to AQ ... unless someone can provide cogently evidences. Until then, I just doubt that these radicals are actually strong enough to take over the country and I also doubt that the vast majority of the opposition share or actually support their ideology. Right now, they are useful for them because any "fighter" counts.
Old 28/08/2011, 07:15 PM

Anytime you have to answer an important question, it always the same answer; it's about the money/resources, period.