Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 05/10/2006, 11:50 PM

Default Something to get off my chest

Well it is not a confession . I was listening to the radio one day and some guy called in and he said something like: "...this is glass half full/half empty situation..." I started thinking about it and came to the conclusion that it is an impossible question to answer - "if a glass is filled with half of its volume, is it half empty or half full?". Yep, impossible, without knowing what happened before. If the glass was empty and then filled to its half - then the glass is half full. If the glass was full and then emptied to its half, then it is half empty - simple! Apparently, this cliche is used to determine if you are a pessimist or an optimist - STUPID!!!
Old 06/10/2006, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Something to get off my chest

oh, but sergei, what if someone is contemplating putting more water in it or not?! I will say that the glass is half emptied if the goal is to empty it. but if the goal was to fill it, but it got emptied by mistake, then it is half full. because what if you were filling it, but then someone else tried to empty it on you? I guess that means someone is being ill towards you.
but i guess it is impossible to answer the question sometimes. most people don't know what they want to do with the damn glass.
EDIT:
wait, i shouldn't answer the post while drunk...so you are saying it is impossible to say unless you know what the goal is? But I say they should know, but htey dont always know! time for sleep!
Old 06/10/2006, 06:22 AM

Haha, I wasn't exactly under the legal limit when posted it. But I suppose in any case you have to be familiar with the history of the glass, otherwise it would be pure guess.
Old 06/10/2006, 12:03 PM

There's something to get off my chest too. a) the fashion of this season is ugly. At least men's wear they are trying to sell is something I don't want to wear. I have my own stile and it's imposible to find something aesthetic. I actually think that at least quadras have each their own fashion. I like alpha's. Like they also have diferent ideas on what is a good way to rest or what stile of dinner places they like to visit. Somehow I think that diferent quadras like diferent music too. b) I can't stand Se types, ISFj's are tanks.
Old 06/10/2006, 05:04 PM

What's stupid about the question is that the two options aren't mutually exclusive (i.e. it's a non-exclusive OR operator). The only correct response to the question is 'YES'.
Old 06/10/2006, 05:09 PM

LOL

It is not the question that is stupid, it is its purpose...
Old 06/10/2006, 05:38 PM
In exile

Well... if you want to approach the problem from a more analytical sense.... there are no such things as absolute. It is practically impossible for something to exist in halves. So in that sense, it truely is a dumb question, because the question isn't even subject to a viable solution. There is always another decimal spot.
Old 07/10/2006, 01:01 AM

Quote:
there are no such things as absolute
hmmm... absolute zero is minus 273 degrees Centigrade
Old 07/10/2006, 01:19 AM
In exile

Quote:
hmmm... absolute zero is minus 273 degrees Centigrade
Well... you can look at absolute zero from a variety of different situations. Molecular motion is basically the what temperature refers to. Absolute zero refers to having the molecules in a system completely come to a stop. Now absolute zero exists in theoretical explanation, but practically speaking it cannot exist due to the fact that there are no absolute numbers. Now you could have something like 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 1 K, and you could take that number and say... well its an absolute number and couldn't be exact either, so you could break it down even futher into more decimal spots. Technically speaking though, there can not be absolute numbers because everything can be broken down even further.
Old 07/10/2006, 01:20 AM

Hmm, i guess it all depends on if you're a glass half full or half empty sorta guy then.

But lets say you have an absolute value of chickens

How many chickens are there? There are two chickens. No more, no less. Each qualifies as a chicken so you have two chickens.
Old 07/10/2006, 08:02 AM

Or you have none, zero chickens:

How many chickens were there? 0, absolutlely none. Maybe 0.0000000000000000000000001? Nope, none. Absolute zero. Can you divide nonexistent chickens even further into more decimal spots?
Old 07/10/2006, 08:38 AM

yeah, that's what I meant. sometimes you either have something or you don't, so you can't say everything is infinitely divisible.
Old 07/10/2006, 12:48 PM

The trouble with the 'half-full/half-empty' coundrum is that it relies upon a trick of language to appear meaningful.

Strictly speaking, 'half-full' and 'half-empty' mean exactly the same thing, regardless of whether the glass was emptied or filled immediately prior to the question being posed.

Put it this way, if I took a glass and filled it halfway with water in front of your eyes and then pronounced 'this glass is now half-empty', would anyone disagree? I suspect not.

The only thing 'wrong' with the above usage is that it is uncommon. Generally speaking, the choice between using 'half-full' or 'half-empty' is dictated by context. 'Half-empty' might suggest that the person expected the glass to contain more liquid, or that the the glass is currently being drained or whatever.

When you think about it, there is no real reason to use one or the other, we're just conditioned to seeing the 'half-empty' version as having a negative connotation.

In practice, no-one would actually use 'half-empty' or 'half-full' exclusively, so to ask the question in general terms is pointless.

Theoretically, however, it might be possible to formulate a question that did uncover a person's pessimism/optimism by providing a bit more context i.e. "in [INSERT SITUATION HERE] would you consider the glass 'half-empty' or 'half-full'?"

I'm not sure such a situation exists that would produce varying responses from people though.
Old 07/10/2006, 05:11 PM
In exile

Quote:
Or you have none, zero chickens:

How many chickens were there? 0, absolutlely none. Maybe 0.0000000000000000000000001? Nope, none. Absolute zero. Can you divide nonexistent chickens even further into more decimal spots?
Your usage of the word chicken is completely theoretical though. Im referring strictly to the practical world. Practically speaking, what is a chicken. All a chicken really is is matter. Particles flow through our system day in, day out. The particles that flow through our space will constitute as part of a chicken.
Old 07/10/2006, 05:45 PM

So do you mean that if a particle matter known as the chicken is not occupying particular space then the chicken is still exists in this space, even if you can't see it?
Old 07/10/2006, 07:20 PM
In exile

Quote:
So do you mean that if a particle matter known as the chicken is not occupying particular space then the chicken is still exists in this space, even if you can't see it?
But a chicken isn't a particle. A chicken is nothing less than a theoretical concept that is created from a certain practical mass construction. Particles are arranged a certain way to create the theoretical concept that is known as a chicken. Theoretically speaking... in terms of practically (lol) light could be a photon could be consider a portion of a chicken.
Old 07/10/2006, 08:59 PM

practically? A farmer isn't going to talk about matter and particles. A farmer is going to count CHICKENS. A farmer doesn't think or care much about the term matter and neither do most people. How about unopened cans of beer? I never drink old flat opened cans, so I only count the unopened ones. So I have, lets say, 9 cans in my fridge. We aren't counting how much matter there is- we assume the difference is negligible. we count how many unopened cans we see. That's practical thinking.

EDIT: a chicken isn't a particle? I don't know about that. Depends upon the frame of reference and universe of discourse- if you want to get logical about it.
Old 07/10/2006, 09:17 PM
In exile

yea... but the concept of a chicken... or a can... is theoretical concept.
Old 07/10/2006, 09:44 PM

so is a particle
Old 07/10/2006, 09:48 PM
In exile

ding ding.... and particles can be broken down... just like everything