Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 08/06/2010, 07:08 AM

Default Emotional EQ's

We all seem to be familiar with the correlation between types and intelligence or IQ. I am curious about the correlation between types and functions and emotional intelligence or emotional availability. Does the acuity of each function (Te, Ti) have an affect on the individual's EQ?
Old 08/06/2010, 03:45 PM

I know of an ENFp friend, age 18, who scored 120 on an EQ test
and an ESTj man, age 50, who scored about 90

On the site it says EQ increases as you get older.
But I think it's probably safe to say that Fs are likely to score higher then Ts
Old 08/06/2010, 04:48 PM

Some people are just dumb and some are just clever regardless of type. Trying to find correlation between the type and IQ is like trying to make 1 rule explaining when socionics j/p should be flipped in relation to MBTI type and when not...pointless.
Old 08/06/2010, 04:58 PM
Gone on holiday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG View Post
Some people are just dumb and some are just clever regardless of type. Trying to find correlation between the type and IQ is like trying to make 1 rule explaining when socionics j/p should be flipped in relation to MBTI type and when not...pointless.
Yeah there doesn't seem much of a correlation...well, any.

Something i've wondered though, and wondering what you think, do you think that an F type with a big brain is still able to succeed in somethings like programming, maths or business or maybe even although they are clever they would still be hampered by their weak T?
Old 08/06/2010, 06:50 PM

I think the physical size of a brain definitely contributes to IQ more than any specific type.

To reiterate, the brain is like a muscle, the bigger the stronger but how one choses to use it would make or break it. The great intellectual capacity can simply be wasted and someone with big brain could be inferior to someone with smaller but more developed brain.
Old 08/06/2010, 08:49 PM

Many F types are successful in business because they have developed interpersonal skills and because they are smart.

I don't think big brain necessarily means a more intelligent individual than someone with a smaller brain. big brain<>intelligence
Old 08/06/2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by privilege View Post
Many F types are successful in business because they have developed interpersonal skills and because they are smart.

I don't think big brain necessarily means a more intelligent individual than someone with a smaller brain. big brain<>intelligence
Actually the size of brain in proportion to the rest of the body is related to intelligence very much, this is what scientists found out anyway.
Old 09/06/2010, 04:28 AM

This discussion is about EeeeeeeQ not IQ.

To restate the question: Does the acuity of each function (Te, Ti) have an affect on the individual's EQ?[/quote]
Old 09/06/2010, 05:35 AM
Quarantined

My IQ is much greater than my EQ for what its worth.

Would you like you for a child?
Old 09/06/2010, 11:13 AM
Gone on holiday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTastic View Post
This discussion is about EeeeeeeQ not IQ.

To restate the question: Does the acuity of each function (Te, Ti) have an affect on the individual's EQ?
What does acuity mean?

Hehe, srsly though, I think your question has been answered though, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldgoldgold
I know of an ENFp friend, age 18, who scored 120 on an EQ test
and an ESTj man, age 50, who scored about 90

On the site it says EQ increases as you get older.
But I think it's probably safe to say that Fs are likely to score higher then Ts
Apparently EQ can change with age.

Something else I checked, I noticed it says on wiki (among other things):

Quote:
The researchers also found TEIQue scores were unrelated to nonverbal reasoning (Raven's matrices), which they interpreted as support for the personality trait view of EI (as opposed to a form of intelligence). As expected, TEIQue scores were positively related to some of the Big Five personality traits (extraversion, agreeableness, openness, conscientiousness) as well as inversely related to others (alexithymia, neuroticism). A number of quantitative genetic studies have been carried out within the trait EI model, which have revealed significant genetic effects and heritabilities for all trait EI scores.[24].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_quotient

Which is basically saying that EQ directly relates to scores on the Big Five. The Big Five figures can also change over time, so therefore EQ can change over time. Sociionic type is generally regarded as remaining the same.

fwiw, I do think that it makes sense that at least on paper that F types will score higher on EQ than T types. However, in practice, maybe not so much. eg a T type could consider all the facts available to them to decide what is the best thing to do to get the best out of a team - taking into account 'emotional' related issues may very well factor into it, but although they don't relate to it through F per se, it just factors into the formula for application. Alternatively, an F type might go, "screw you! I care about myself more"!

Quote:
I think the physical size of a brain definitely contributes to IQ more than any specific type.

To reiterate, the brain is like a muscle, the bigger the stronger but how one choses to use it would make or break it. The great intellectual capacity can simply be wasted and someone with big brain could be inferior to someone with smaller but more developed brain.
fwiw, maybe as an example, I do know an ESFp who's been in a particular job for years and knows it inside out. I suppose on paper it could be classified as good Te even although she's pretty clearly F imo. I guess it is like the muscle idea, not just size but how much is used, another way to put it is there's little substitute for experience (same with job application as experience with using the muscle over long time and frequency etc).

Last edited by Cyclops; 09/06/2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10/06/2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Actually the size of brain in proportion to the rest of the body is related to intelligence very much, this is what scientists found out anyway.
very interesting! this may explain why 90% of security guards i come across are morons
Old 10/06/2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldgoldgold View Post
very interesting! this may explain why 90% of security guards i come across are morons
Interesting choice of profession you have dealing with security guards, been making any bank withdrawals recently?
Old 18/06/2010, 11:36 PM

PURE ROBBERIES
no but just when you're out both before and after being 18 THEYRE STILL COLD HEARTED and tend to just physically move me to where they think they should. DAM YOU PHYSICS!