Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 25/11/2010, 10:04 PM

Default Lol type me plox

Hi, I've been reading this website and forum for the past

few days now, having found it reminiscent of an introduction to Myers-Briggs nearly four years ago by an instructor in college. I feel that I have at least a basic grasp on socionics at this point, but nonetheless would like to discern whether or not I have correctly applied the classification system to myself by asking forum members to attempt to "type" me. While my initial opinion on the system is that it is still a protoscience of sorts, if it retains my interest for a length of time I would most certainly have an interest in striving to improve upon it, if only for my own personal utilization.

Anyway, I hope that through this post you will be able to get at least a small view of the way my personality operates for purposes of classification. It is a personal belief of mine that when it comes to things like this, everything is data. I don't expect that anyone can be correctly pidgeon-holed, but it's a start.

Firstly, I'll go ahead and state that I am assuredly introverted. I find personal interaction with most people to be both tiring and consequently annoying after about four hours, give or take. I am constantly introspecting, questioning my own motives and inner workings in even seemingly insignificant situations, unless distracted for a decent length of time by something mentally stimulating and enjoyable. Case-in-point, when typing the word "decent", I almost typed the word "descent", which reminded me of a song, which I went ahead and decided to open because I like it. I was aware of that process and thought to ask why. In fact I think to ask why I am currently typing this post in Notepad to post on the forum, realizing that nothing I am told will be definite and may even be dismissed by me if I find that it conflicts with certain views I have of myself on the grounds that either I have given you insufficient information, or you have misinterpreted it (note that I am not trying to discourage you here, haha).

This is the surface of introspection. Over the past few years, I have made a conscious effort to drag what I can of my social and moral programming to the surface and question it - and from there possibly discard or suppress it altogether. In fact my entire interest in socionics will ideally serve a greater goal of cutting away most of my (personally) undesirable aspects. The reason why is that I tend to have a very pessimistic view of human society and would like to interact with it as little as possible, striving instead to observe. I find that the species' suffering is ultimately rooted in an imposition of will in all things that would be best fixed by ceasing to will entirely, a resolution brought about by whatever effective route ensures the most complete success.

Regarding this imposition of will, I have a tendency to see and analyze its origins and results in others. This has brought me into great conflict with others at times online, resulting in multi-page debates about human nature and the nature of morality. The latter being something of which I am extremely critical, and not for the sake of rationalizing personal actions when it is convenient, despite what I have been accused of in the past by at least one fool presumptuous enough to attempt to "educate" me on the "nature" of morality. It is because I link it directly with the imposition of will I mentioned above.

As for "real life" interactions, I am seldom in direct confrontation with others on the issues I mentioned above, due to situations frequently being entirely futile and/or certain to end with undesirable consequences. For example, I could most certainly press a "boss" at "work" (I do so hate both of those terms and all of their implications) on what I perceive as the reality behind their world and the entire system they support, but I would only be met with illogical responses and undesirable consequences, insofar as my ability to financially support myself is concerned.

Now something to note about my nature is that even in thinking of such a conflict with a presumed authority figure enrages me. I absolutely loathe the concept of hierarchy, as should be expected from my finding imposition of will to be undesirable. The concept of freedom under government is laughable to me, because it is merely relative. I would without hesitation "remove" anyone who seeks control over others without their complete consent. I know that this is an unconscious reflex to deal with a perceived threat, and ironically a sort of imposition of will on its own, but I will say that at least it is "defensive" in nature.

I am difficult to get motivated, slow to start a project, but work well under pressure. All the same, projects with deadlines leave me with a bitter taste, because I always feel I could have done more with sufficient time. I tend to plan projects systematically and according to my best information, but all the same prefer to keep as many options open as possible, should the unexpected occur. By best information I mean the most reasonable and complete. I will generally take function over form, except in cases where form matters at least half as much.

I presently work retail, being racked with indecision by any sort of other career, as well as a reluctance to indulge in the system at all. I have an interest in computers, games, other nerdy stuff, armoured combat, the middle ages, and also ancient China (thanks, Three Kingdoms XD). I hate repetition and mindless tasks, and so hate retail.

I am conscious of my appearance, carefully choosing appealing clothing even if I'm just going out to buy like one or two things. I am even moreso aware of my hair, constantly ensuring it's how I like, and frequently messing with it. By frequently I mean all the ****in' time. People have mistaken this for nervousness, however it's more just my own quirk of perfectionism. If it's windy or rainy outside, I would just as soon not have anything to do with it until it's less hostile to my appearance. As a result, I get compliments from people I don't even know, which is comforting but leaves me unsure of how to respond.

Such social situations often make me feel awkward, but within my short span of extraverted energy I am usually able to craft responses carefully with all the effectiveness of a Sith Lord. I don't think of this as sociopathic, but as a coping mechanism.

I have a girlfriend of about three years whom I love dearly. We share many common interests and a few ways of thinking, though she is more moderately inclined than I. She also has the tendency to blame herself for things that I would blame others for. We are very affectionate physically, though often lacking sexually, much to both of our frustration. Her personality is very comfortable and feels compatible, but I occasionally find myself wanting more. Most often, neither of us naturally decides upon anything without asking the opinion of the other, only to be met with more indecision.

Example:

"Want to go out to eat?"
"If you want to."
"Where do you want to go?"
"I dunno, where do you want to go?"
"Hmm...are you hungry for anything in particular?"
"Nope."
"Okay, hmm..."

We do eventually decide, of course, and usually one of us does have at least a minor preference, which is immediately noticed by the other when even slightly "leaked". I find that we both seek to fulfill the other's tastes, unless one of us really isn't in the mood for it, in which case a compromise is quickly reached with next to zero conflict. The whole process strikes me as both sweet and bothersome at the same time.

Now against my better judgment, I think I will cut this off here, fully knowing there are things that could be added that weren't. Also I'm hungry. However I suppose I can rationalize this by the fact that no typed "essay" will ever be conclusive of an individual's personality in the same way that no typing system will ever be comprehensive enough within my lifetime to account for all personality traits. However I do find it interesting and think it may be worth exploring and tinkering with.

Based on my current understanding of the system, I could fall into the perimeters of INTx, but would like to hear other opinions. Ask if I left anything necessary out.

Thanks.
Old 28/11/2010, 05:44 PM
Gone on holiday...

I don't know

I'd say INTp over INTj because of the style of text, I think INTjs tend to be more precise rather than meandering, or something like that.
Old 16/12/2010, 04:00 AM

Nobody else? Was it too much to read? Too incoherent? Both of those?
Old 16/12/2010, 10:36 AM
Gone on holiday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valori View Post
Nobody else? Was it too much to read? Too incoherent? Both of those?
I'm quite curious about this, as I read your post on the same session that you posted the above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valori
Honestly the unconscious need to show affection could apply to nearly anyone; I've also met people who don't seem to fit the ISTP type but who are obsessed with pets. A lot of the descriptions for various types seem to be more vague generalizations that read more like a horoscope in that they could be applied many people if you've got specific instances in mind. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing - it's certainly a start.
I'm curious why you would think your description is any better than the descriptions you criticise?

Post photos as it's an individualisation to your text.
Old 16/12/2010, 07:27 PM

I don't think my description is any better, I'm merely saying that descriptions like the one I was talking about in the other topic seem to be more of a start than a truly refined way of defining a category in which multiple people are supposed to fit. I'm sure you know that scientific categorization isn't just perfected overnight. When I ask that others help categorize me based on the (also inadequate) description that I gave, I do this with the intent of exploring exactly why people made those decisions, and how my any of my own deviations from the category's currently perceived norms (whether those deviations are noticed by others or not doesn't matter at this point) may help to build upon the present definition of it if those things also happen to be common amongst others. Alternatively, perhaps the categories can be split even further.

As for a picture...maybe. I don't know how much I buy into the visual identification aspect of this.
Old 16/12/2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Over the past few years, I have made a conscious effort to drag what I can of my social and moral programming to the surface and question it - and from there possibly discard or suppress it altogether. In fact my entire interest in socionics will ideally serve a greater goal of cutting away most of my (personally) undesirable aspects. The reason why is that I tend to have a very pessimistic view of human society and would like to interact with it as little as possible, striving instead to observe. I find that the species' suffering is ultimately rooted in an imposition of will in all things that would be best fixed by ceasing to will entirely, a resolution brought about by whatever effective route ensures the most complete success.

Regarding this imposition of will, I have a tendency to see and analyze its origins and results in others. This has brought me into great conflict with others at times online, resulting in multi-page debates about human nature and the nature of morality. The latter being something of which I am extremely critical, and not for the sake of rationalizing personal actions when it is convenient, despite what I have been accused of in the past by at least one fool presumptuous enough to attempt to "educate" me on the "nature" of morality. It is because I link it directly with the imposition of will I mentioned above.

Now something to note about my nature is that even in thinking of such a conflict with a presumed authority figure enrages me. I absolutely loathe the concept of hierarchy, as should be expected from my finding imposition of will to be undesirable. The concept of freedom under government is laughable to me, because it is merely relative. I would without hesitation "remove" anyone who seeks control over others without their complete consent. I know that this is an unconscious reflex to deal with a perceived threat, and ironically a sort of imposition of will on its own, but I will say that at least it is "defensive" in nature.
Just these paragraphs here remind of Schopenhaur's views a bit. Not sure if you like him, or have read him, or identify with his ideas or...sth else entirely. Either way, IMO he was Ni-sth, possibly gamma but could also be beta. If i were to *guess* based on what you wrote alone I'd say Ni-valuing for you - but not necessarily Ni-ego. Could be though.

Seeing as you're most likely going to disagree, i'll keep it brief - just a guess, in a way cheers
Old 17/12/2010, 05:10 AM

Actually I would say you are fairly accurate from what I understand of what I've read so far. I actually started thinking as I do before I came upon Schopenhaur one day, but was of course somewhat pleasantly surprised when that happened. I haven't read any of his works, mostly just about them.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your insight so far.
Old 18/12/2010, 07:49 AM

I'll (probably) get you a picture when I feel I'm photo worthy.
Old 18/12/2010, 02:30 PM
Gone on holiday...

Quote:
I'll (probably) get you a picture when I feel I'm photo worthy.
Haha, it's raining, upon my, my hair, is a mess....
Old 18/12/2010, 06:27 PM

Snow, actually!

Also, something that was on my mind that may provide some more insight...

I was digging through some of the older posts in this forum late last night and this morning, and of course came upon some rather, hm, heated threads usually involving a fellow named Prometheus. I noticed that his last post occurred over a year ago, indicating that he is (hopefully?) inactive currently.

Not to intentionally open a can of worms, but what was up with this guy? I don't I've ever seen such a huge display of arrogance in my time on the internet. While he was at times informative, and I don't doubt that his grasp of the Socionics system is better than my own humble understanding, having not read nearly as much myself, every other post was "I am always 100% right" or "You are incompetent" or some huge outburst of rage because someone dared to disagree with his obviously superior understanding of everything, ever. I only ask because I'd rather not interact with him if he is still around; I know myself well enough to say that I wouldn't be able to hold any sort of stable discussion with him, meaning I'd probably just get banned for an all out attack on his blatant underlying insecurities and presumptuous reasoning, should he ever confront me in the manner he seems to have used to speak to others here. >_>

I know that I can - and have, ironically enough - come across in a very similar way when I'm discussing particular things, but am generally able to avoid it at this point in my life because I see it as counterproductive as it is, as well as a blatant display of a weakness of my character. I noticed that he had typed himself as an INTp, which given this (unpleasant) similarity, would lend me more foundation for my own typing as that as well. This all seems a prime example of the "inappropriate and embarrassing" tendency for emotional outbursts that I've read is typical of the type.

Anyway, I was originally going to PM this to Cyclops, seeing as how I found him often involved in the threads I had in mind, but decided that it would be a waste for any data that might be extracted from this not to be! =)
Old 18/12/2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Not to intentionally open a can of worms,
Well, you might have done so! Time will tell ...

Besides, one can always put another member on "ignore" if one does not want to interact with someone.
Old 18/12/2010, 07:32 PM
Gone on holiday...

I don't want to talk about the guy as I've nothing pleasant to say about him, and it seems like bad manners.

In regards to comparing yourself to him and his self-typing of INTp, without giving my opinion on his type, he has unusual behaviors for just about any type of person, so I wouldn't recommend comparing yourself to him. That's all.
Old 18/12/2010, 11:18 PM

Oh, I didn't know you had an ignore function here. Anyway, consider that stuff forgotten!
Old 19/12/2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't know you had an ignore function here. Anyway, consider that stuff forgotten!
Yep! Just go to "User CP".
Old 16/01/2011, 09:15 AM

I've been reading the "Wikisocion" website and find that I strongly fit aspects of both INTp and ENTp as listed in their descriptions. I found this interesting because while I definitely seem to fit within the confines of the term "introvert" as far as "ordinary" psychology is concerned, I've read multiple times that socionics treats it differently. I still find myself generally tired by most face-to-face interactions with others (perhaps simply due to the fact that interaction often seems to require conscious thought), however I don't yet feel I've gathered enough information regarding Jung's "inward" and "outward" flow of psychic energy in terms of the functions as a whole.

Does it strike you as more likely that this is a matter of difference between "typical" I/E vs. I/E, or just the tendency of any given individual to seletively identify more strongly with specific aspects of either type description?

Also, bad picture for Cyclops or whoever:

Yes, my default expression is bored/annoyed. I don't have any shots of me actually doing anything as I actively avoid the camera.
Old 16/01/2011, 01:40 PM

Introverted ENFp maybe?
Old 17/01/2011, 05:31 PM

You look ENTp to me, or possibly as SG suggested, introverted-ish ENFp. Definitely not INTp from what I can see.
Old 17/01/2011, 06:19 PM
Gone on holiday...

You look ENFp/ISTp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
Well, you might have done so! Time will tell ...

Besides, one can always put another member on "ignore" if one does not want to interact with someone.
Oh reeely? Try putting Ganin on ignore
Old 17/01/2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Oh reeely? Try putting Ganin on ignore
I said ... member.
Old 17/01/2011, 09:01 PM

I assume that the three of you are going off of the picture in those last posts?

How reliably do specific types generally fit within a certain category of appearance? Is there any hard data on that? Also, I'm naturally a bit skeptical as to how much what I have already said may have influenced the interpretations of me visually. Not to slight any of you, but knowing that humans are by nature incapable of providing a perfect analysis has me wonder if providing a photo independent of any descriptive information might be a wiser choice relative to potentially contaminating an analysis as I may have done here.

As for reading I've done on my own, the more descriptions that I sift through, the more I find that I am able to relate to very specific aspects for a number of different types. This leads me to believe that I am going to need a more clear method of discerning what type fits me. That said, when I read about each element in the place of a specific number of function, I again find myself identifying as ILI > ILE >>> SLI >> IEE (because using more than one "greater than" symbol with seemingly arbitrary value is awesome).

Unfortunately, if being an introverted extrovert type is a very real possibility, I should read the element/function combinations cautiously as well. It could also mean that all of the tests I have taken (including the Socionics Type Assistant here on the site) which show me as I over E might not be very helpful - at least when if I continue to look at myself using the same perspective I am now.

Regarding this, what I find most important is that I am asking myself a few questions that I had not before. I find the process which socionics has inherent in it far more important than whatever debatable combination of letters I (might) end up deciding upon. And that in itself is data.