Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 11/01/2013, 09:44 PM

Default Ti and dealing with anxiety

The conscious objective of using Ti is understanding.

I believe there is an unconscious objective behind using Ti, which is dealing with anxiety.

What do you think?
Old 13/01/2013, 10:19 PM

It could be, but dependent upon the person and the situation. Intellectualisation is a well known defence mechanism, in this sense Ti could perhaps be used to defend against anxiety and difficult emotions.
Old 17/01/2013, 10:38 AM

Actually I noticed that many of the Ti-leading types that I know are quite anxious. I am personally either Ti-leading or Ti-secondary and my anxiety level is high.

It would be interesting to conduct a study.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Te types like to collect as much information as possible and feel comfortable with learning a lot of stuff, life therefore comes easy to them. However the Ti person is extremely anxious that too much information will make him confused. Thus he spends all the necessary time trying to make sense of things. But this means that he spends less time learning new stuff and thus feels overwhelmed and worries that he won't be able to cope with life because there isn't enough time and energy to analyze everything. One way to deal with this anxiety is to pinpoint the leading principles which is extremely helpful and allows one to avoid doing work of a repetitive nature. But this world is sometimes so overwhelming that it surprises us with unexpected events and doesn't even give us enough time to capture the leading principles in first place, or maybe in some instances one needs to do a lot of work before one can arrive at a stage in which one can find the leading principle. In these instances anxiety can multiply itself tons of times.

The fact that in this stupid world, everything is designed in a way to fit the Te person doesn't alleviate the anxiety, quite the contrary.

In brief, the ultimate solution to a Ti's person anxiety is to work on his Te. Te would spare him from trying to understand how things work in instances in which he only needs to get something done. He realizes that he doesn't always need to understand what is going on to be able to function properly.

That way the Ti person can focus his energy thinking about the things that are central for his life and his interests.