Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 12/04/2009, 01:40 AM

Default Enneagram type descriptions

I think people have a lot of misconceptions about the enneagram types. So I am going to write my own. I will start by type 5. It is a tentative quick description which I can work on later.

Type 5 is a fear type. He thinks that he is incapable of doing things like others can do them. He lacks confidence in his ability to face the world and deal with reality. He is afraid to be overwhelmed by the demands of the world and the people around him. He is even afraid of his own personal needs so he searches to minimize them.

The solution to feeling incapable to participate to life, is to hold back, withdraw and become an observer in order to gather as much information as possible about the world around him, and thinks that once he will feel knowledgeable enough he can participate. He believes that he needs to be an expert in order to know how to act on things. So once he feels he is competent and prepared enough he will rejoin the world. But the thing is he will never have that feeling of absolute expertise. Because knowledge itself is not enough, concrete experience is required which is something that type 5 avoids because being subject to concrete experience means participating to real life. As type 5 gets more and more unhealthy, not only is he withdrawn from in his mind from people, but he is also withdrawn from reality. This is a way to protect himself from external objects which might disturb his mental activity (emotions also disturb his mental activity). He becomes enclosed in his bizzarre intellectual theorizations. His thoughts are what he trusts above all else. So when he comes up with a certain view of reality, no matter how distorted it is, he keeps on following it until the end. But when type 5 is unhealthy his thoughts are extremely fueled by anxiety and directed against himself. He reacts to scary thoughts by concentrating on them so that he can understand them better, while cutting himself from the way these thoughts make him feel. Sooner or later these ignored feelings will come back to him and terrify him because over concentrating on these thoughts can only augment his fears. So the 5 becomes a victim of the mental world he has created in his mind.

Type 5 is very much interested by the exterior world which is why he searches to get information about it while type 7 for instance searches to conform the world to his idealistic visions since he is directed towards the interior (as do types 1 and 4). Towards his interior world he has a lot of fear because he doesn't understand himself: whether body, psyche or emotions (except his cognitive process). Interior elements are disturbing for his process of searching for information outside himself, so the solution is to shut down all his interior functionning, emotions included. This results in a horrible feeling of emptiness which he tries to fill by getting more and more knowledge. He gives as least amount of information as possible to others because he thinks that giving the information he has means giving the little which he possesses so doing it, he thinks, will amplify his feeling of interior emptiness.

Type 5 is very concerned with his privacy because people are also distrubing elements for his thoughts. For that reason he is quite unavailable. He is also unavailable because he thinks :"If there isn't enough even for me, how can there be enough for everybody?" A 5 may have difficulties being involved in an intimate relationship because he is afraid of not being able to satisfy the other (well finally he can't do things well).

All his efforts to avoid what disturbs his mental activity makes a man with extraordinary powers of concentration which is the easiest thing one can look for to know whether a person is a 5 or a 9. Type 5 is concentrated everywhere and all the time which is not the case of type 9.

When healthy enough type 5 is connected well to reality and doesn't refuse concrete experience with life which, combined with his powers of concentration and detached unconventional thinking leads to great discoveries which makes of him a genious instead of being a concentric crank.

"when the personality is more fixated, it can also create self-defeating problems. This is because their focus of attention unwittingly serves to distract them from their most pressing practical problems. Whatever the sources of their anxieties may be—relationships, lack of physical strength, inability to gain employment, and so forth—average Fives tend not to deal with these issues. Rather, they find something else to do that will make them feel more competent. The irony is that no matter what degree of mastery they develop in their area of expertise, this cannot solve their more basic insecurities about functioning in the world. For example, as a marine biologist, a Five could learn everything there is to know about a type of shellfish, but if her fear is that she is never going to be able to run her own household adequately, she will not have solved her underlying anxiety. "said Don Riso and Russ Hudson.

I wish you like the description.
Old 15/04/2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by complicater-complexer View Post
I think people have a lot of misconceptions about the enneagram types. So I am going to write my own. I will start by type 5. It is a tentative quick description which I can work on later.

Type 5 is a fear type. He thinks that he is incapable of doing things like others can do them. He lacks confidence in his ability to face the world and deal with reality. He is afraid to be overwhelmed by the demands of the world and the people around him. He is even afraid of his own personal needs so he searches to minimize them.

The solution to feeling incapable to participate to life, is to hold back, withdraw and become an observer in order to gather as much information as possible about the world around him, and thinks that once he will feel knowledgeable enough he can participate. He believes that he needs to be an expert in order to know how to act on things. So once he feels he is competent and prepared enough he will rejoin the world. But the thing is he will never have that feeling of absolute expertise. Because knowledge itself is not enough, concrete experience is required which is something that type 5 avoids because being subject to concrete experience means participating to real life. As type 5 gets more and more unhealthy, not only is he withdrawn from in his mind from people, but he is also withdrawn from reality. This is a way to protect himself from external objects which might disturb his mental activity (emotions also disturb his mental activity). He becomes enclosed in his bizzarre intellectual theorizations. His thoughts are what he trusts above all else. So when he comes up with a certain view of reality, no matter how distorted it is, he keeps on following it until the end. But when type 5 is unhealthy his thoughts are extremely fueled by anxiety and directed against himself. He reacts to scary thoughts by concentrating on them so that he can understand them better, while cutting himself from the way these thoughts make him feel. Sooner or later these ignored feelings will come back to him and terrify him because over concentrating on these thoughts can only augment his fears. So the 5 becomes a victim of the mental world he has created in his mind.

Type 5 is very much interested by the exterior world which is why he searches to get information about it while type 7 for instance searches to conform the world to his idealistic visions since he is directed towards the interior (as do types 1 and 4). Towards his interior world he has a lot of fear because he doesn't understand himself: whether body, psyche or emotions (except his cognitive process). Interior elements are disturbing for his process of searching for information outside himself, so the solution is to shut down all his interior functionning, emotions included. This results in a horrible feeling of emptiness which he tries to fill by getting more and more knowledge. He gives as least amount of information as possible to others because he thinks that giving the information he has means giving the little which he possesses so doing it, he thinks, will amplify his feeling of interior emptiness.

Type 5 is very concerned with his privacy because people are also distrubing elements for his thoughts. For that reason he is quite unavailable. He is also unavailable because he thinks :"If there isn't enough even for me, how can there be enough for everybody?" A 5 may have difficulties being involved in an intimate relationship because he is afraid of not being able to satisfy the other (well finally he can't do things well).

All his efforts to avoid what disturbs his mental activity makes a man with extraordinary powers of concentration which is the easiest thing one can look for to know whether a person is a 5 or a 9. Type 5 is concentrated everywhere and all the time which is not the case of type 9.

When healthy enough type 5 is connected well to reality and doesn't refuse concrete experience with life which, combined with his powers of concentration and detached unconventional thinking leads to great discoveries which makes of him a genious instead of being a concentric crank.

"when the personality is more fixated, it can also create self-defeating problems. This is because their focus of attention unwittingly serves to distract them from their most pressing practical problems. Whatever the sources of their anxieties may be—relationships, lack of physical strength, inability to gain employment, and so forth—average Fives tend not to deal with these issues. Rather, they find something else to do that will make them feel more competent. The irony is that no matter what degree of mastery they develop in their area of expertise, this cannot solve their more basic insecurities about functioning in the world. For example, as a marine biologist, a Five could learn everything there is to know about a type of shellfish, but if her fear is that she is never going to be able to run her own household adequately, she will not have solved her underlying anxiety. "said Don Riso and Russ Hudson.

I wish you like the description.
I think this is a good description. Maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of it fits me.

Increased expression of one function (1) suppresses the opposing intradichotomy function and (2) suppresses the opposing intrablock function (and vise versa).