Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 11/07/2007, 11:56 AM

Default Phantom Functions

I've been doing a lot of thinking about individuals resorting to or throwing themselves into functions not inherent to their natural personality.

What I mean by this is that I know a INFJ woman who will switch into INTJ as a means of dealing with difficult situations. She detaches herself from feeling and deals with things rationally as a means of avoiding pain.

I believe an INFJ I know relies on her J function so heavily to escape feeling that she behaves as if the rest of her personality is thoroughly extraverted, although it is obvious that she is just faking it.

I know an INFP who tries to absolve herself in the sensation of drugs pretty things as a placeholder for authentic feeling.

I do not pretend to believe that people are starkly one of the dichotomies, but It does seem lesser functions seem to serve particular uses especially as it relates to resolving feeling.

Does feeling just get weird, or is their a larger lesson?
Old 11/07/2007, 06:20 PM

Why is this surprising? Functions are tools. What to use and how to use it depends on a situation. Even a car mechanic uses different spanners on different bolts.
Old 11/07/2007, 08:35 PM

Sure, I like I said I don't think I'm falling into the pitfall of thinking in absolutes.

Because socionics seems to be more nuanced than the Myer's Briggs and Jung literature I've come across, what I'm actually wondering is if there has been study as to when people resort to other functions.

What I find particularly interesting is people who "live" as a personality type not entirely their own. An F relying on their J so heavily that their I appears as a forced E, an F in S or turning to T.

I'm thinking of fairly neurotic people, so perhaps that is part of it. My question then, is what causes people to present a different type to the public (themselves?)? Are their patterns here that might be worth examining? Is this merely an F thing or am I missing part? (I'm an NF hardcore so my perception is skewed in favor of feeling).
Old 11/07/2007, 08:48 PM

I'm pretty sure acting "out-of-type" is an adaptation mechanism largely influenced by the environment.