Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 04/01/2007, 08:42 AM

Default Your Big work

Where's the big thing you wanted to finish for the christmas? Are you sure to be a j?
Old 04/01/2007, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I know, nothing to do with my J-ness though. Something's come up and as you may have noticed I'm rarely around here too. The big work is still on my list, however there are also other priorities that are more important at the moment. I dunno, socionics.com is 10 years old this year, so that would have been cool to coincide it. Well...
Old 05/01/2007, 12:01 PM

Can I ask you what are you willing to improve? What plans do you have?

Well, one of the things you can improve is the test. The big one/ the list of adjectives. I have done it twice during the last month, I got once INTp and once INFp and as you know I am S so something in the test should be improved. There doesn't seem to be a lot adjectives relating to sensing.( But when I do the humanmetrics test I always get IXTP with a moderate preferance for I, T and P and a slight one for either S or N. )

Maybe can you think of descriptions that make finding one's type easier.

P.S: Are there Socionics books you advise me to buy?
Old 05/01/2007, 05:26 PM

What do you think the adjectives for S should be good to add?
Old 06/01/2007, 12:43 PM

Likes sensory based pleasures. Remarks sensory-details easily. Sensitive to touch. Colour-sensitive...
Old 06/01/2007, 01:38 PM

gimmie 1 word adjectives
Old 07/01/2007, 03:36 PM

hedonist, colour- sensitive, kinesthetic...
Old 07/01/2007, 08:17 PM

Doesn't hedonistic apply more to Se and not much at all to Si? Well, I'm talking MBTI, so reverse those for Socionics. Also, I see kinesthetic learning styles as being more of an N thing.
Old 07/01/2007, 08:27 PM

I could use hedonist. Got any more?
Old 08/01/2007, 06:20 AM

I still don't see how one can use hedonist. Have you ever known an SJ who was at all hedonistic? Most of them are quite the opposite! ISTj and ISTj are both all about duty. It's like saying "randomness" applies to N in general, when it doesn't, it applies to Ne, not to Ni. There are fine distinctions here that need to be made.
Old 08/01/2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I still don't see how one can use hedonist.
Use for what?
Old 08/01/2007, 04:03 PM

Use as a question on an MBTI/Socionics test to indicate S over N. An SJ type would likely choose against "hedonistic" and still are not Ns. Such a question would cause the test to lack construct validity. Is this not what we are talking about?

The adjectives would have to be general enough to cover both Se and Si, Ne and Ni, etc.
Old 09/01/2007, 08:15 AM

Or maybe the adjectives could be accurate enough to make a difference between Se and Si. It's all about how the test works, whether it uses the functions or only I-E, N-S, T-F, and j-p scales. Right?
Old 09/01/2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas05 View Post
It's all about how the test works
Couldn't say better myself
Old 10/01/2007, 12:46 AM

That would work too. I actually thought about mentioning that, but found it to be beside the point, since I figured you had thought of that, yet that is not the type of test we were talking about. If you make a test that distinguished between Si and Se, for example, then it would be fine to have adjectives such as "hedonistic" to apply to Se over Si. However, if you make a test that distinguishes between S and N in general, then adjectives like "hedonistic" will sap the construct validity right out of the test.
Old 10/01/2007, 01:11 AM

Well. well. well. If you describe yourself as a hedonist, what are the chances for you to be an N rather than an S?
Old 10/01/2007, 03:22 AM

That's a matter on the intuitive and sensing functions. I would have an easier time seeing Ne as hedonistic than Ni. The same goes for Se over Ni. Though probably Se over Ne. So, I propose this order: Ni, Si, Ne, Se.

In any case, this doesn't contradict what I was saying. Even if Ns as a whole are less hedonsitic than Ss, there is likely to be variance within each function as far as to what extent adjectives like hedonistic apply. A minor amount of variance might be enough to cause construct invalidity. This possibility could be avoided by throwing out adjectives like "hedonistic" and replacing them with ones that apply to S and N in general.

To tell you the truth, I'm not certain that Ns on average are more hedonistic than Ss. I have known Ne types that were pretty hedonistic in some ways. And I have known Si types who were the total opposite of hedonistic. By using adjectives like "hedonistic" in the type of test you are talking about, you are engaging in an oversimplification by ignoring the shades of gray that exist in real individuals.
Old 10/01/2007, 07:46 AM

Type 7, the most hedonistic type in enneagram is full of extraverted intuitives (of course I mean by that Ne, I find it silly to say extraverted intuitive if one means ENXy).

All depends on how you define hedonism. Type 7 is hedonistic in the sense that he is always planifying for the future. His pleasures are mental. He wants mental excitement, new ideas, new projects...

My advisor is a 7, and as I have already said he is probably ENTp.
Old 10/01/2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
That's a matter on the intuitive and sensing functions. I would have an easier time seeing Ne as hedonistic than Ni. The same goes for Se over Ni. Though probably Se over Ne. So, I propose this order: Ni, Si, Ne, Se.

In any case, this doesn't contradict what I was saying. Even if Ns as a whole are less hedonsitic than Ss, there is likely to be variance within each function as far as to what extent adjectives like hedonistic apply. A minor amount of variance might be enough to cause construct invalidity. This possibility could be avoided by throwing out adjectives like "hedonistic" and replacing them with ones that apply to S and N in general.

To tell you the truth, I'm not certain that Ns on average are more hedonistic than Ss. I have known Ne types that were pretty hedonistic in some ways. And I have known Si types who were the total opposite of hedonistic. By using adjectives like "hedonistic" in the type of test you are talking about, you are engaging in an oversimplification by ignoring the shades of gray that exist in real individuals.
Are you a hedonist?
Old 10/01/2007, 04:40 PM

No, I am too concerned with duty to be a hedonist. I would love to be spontaneious and follow my impulses more, but I can't seem to do it. Maybe one day! Why do you ask?