Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 03/02/2006, 12:57 AM

Default What is Time?

I have this problem when people are calling - Intuition of Time. I would really like to know why (because that's how they call it in Russia won't do). The pseudo-explanation I came across long time ago was that because types are best at managing time, therefore must be Intuition of Time. Well, I later found out that it is a complete rubbish and that types could be disastrous and that non types could be brilliant at time keeping. So what is Time anyway?
Old 03/02/2006, 01:04 AM

Default Re: What is Time?

Quote:
Originally posted by SG:
I have this problem when people are calling - Intuition of Time. I would really like to know why (because that's how they call it in Russia won't do). The pseudo-explanation I came across long time ago was that because types are best at managing time, therefore must be Intuition of Time. Well, I later found out that it is a complete rubbish and that types could be disastrous and that non types could be brilliant at time keeping. So what is Time anyway?
I think that it is appropiate to call it that as the function is verticle and abstract. People who have Ni are able to see the abstract principles of specific points in time in the past and future, catelogueing what they have observed in order to apply predictions and insight into the future.

I am not talking about being psychic, I am talking about making simple deductions. Ni people do it quite frequently.
Old 03/02/2006, 01:11 AM

I think it would be better to start with defining what time is and isn't...
Old 03/02/2006, 01:16 AM

Hmmm, interesting ... it seems to end and begin alot. That is for sure.
Old 03/02/2006, 01:37 AM

Time is an entity which makes up part of the space-time continuum, the manifestations of which are relative (much like gravity) and arguably subjective. Although we may be able to quantify time, I don't believe it is possible to entirely understand it.

...and yay for encyclopedias.
Old 03/02/2006, 02:23 AM

I always wondered about what that term referred to as well and assumed that somewhere there was an explanation, or some sort of objective construct, but I still have yet to see a reasonable one. To me time is not real and is only a construct. It is a form of measurement or magnitude. So with one perspective on time you have to be looking at the world objectively, in discrete "units". Each unit has to be of the same magnitude. Let's say that a "unit" is how long it takes for a mouse to run from one end of my bathroom to the other, a "lap" so to speak. Now assume this mouse is magical and would go back and forth at an identical expense of energy, consistently and unceasingly with no change in pattern. I don't know of anything that really can do this though, so it seems like an impracticle demand. but time is based on this idea, that this mouse is going back and forth in my bathroom unceasingly and unchangingly, and that everything we do occurs in the distance that mouse travels in my bathroom. If i start talking when the mouse is halfway across my bathroom, and stop talking when it reaches halfway across my bathroom again, i can assume that i spoke for one lap. If i speak again and the same thing happens, then i can again assume that i spoke for the same amount of "time" but how can i be so sure? what if the mouse got distracted or slipped a little bit, or changed his direction? then the time will be off. But assume it never is wrong, you still have to keep track of how many times this mouse went back and forth and you have to generate constructs which trace the progress. You have to memorize the rules and the constructs of it all. I think that this is more of a logical thing than anything else. So unless there is some sort of operational or objective definition of intuition as being "time" I'm not going to look at it that way. I guess it is an internal structural potential though, because with an introverted intuitive type you have events occuring in a closed perception(like my bathroom) but the person's mind runs at different paces and in different places.
Old 03/02/2006, 02:41 AM

I don't think something necessarily ceases to be real simply because we do not have the means to measure its occurance exactly.
Old 03/02/2006, 03:18 AM

Well if two events occured in the same amount of time then I would hope that the means of measuring for both events were identical.

If I used my subjective interpretation of what a second is and you used yours, and we were both measuring the same event, I can guarantee that eventually there would be a discrepancy. You need something outside of you and completely reliable which will guarantee an objective result. So you have to call that an operational definition of time. It's as true as you can get.
Old 03/02/2006, 03:52 AM

The concept of reality in itself is subjective. We are only capable of measuring events within the limitations of our tools and our mental capacity. The passage of time on Earth may be qualitatively different from the passage of time at or near a black hole, where our methods of measurement would mean nothing.
As far as I'm concerned no human construct will ever be 100 percent accurate or reliable-and we have nothing else to rely on. We can, however, try to refine what we have.
Old 03/02/2006, 01:51 PM

time is being. being is time. read this book: "being and time" by heidegger. you will only approach an understanding of time via the intuition. discursive thought will not get you there.
Old 03/02/2006, 02:50 PM

Intuition cannot be quantified. Therefore it is of little use to science, which is really all we have as a reliable standard. (Though intution may aid a person individually in understanding his or her world, it's not something that we can hold up as a measure or a guide for everything and everyone).
Old 03/02/2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nyx:
Intuition cannot be quantified. Therefore it is of little use to science, which is really all we have as a reliable standard. (Though intution may aid a person individually in understanding his or her world, it's not something that we can hold up as a measure or a guide for everything and everyone).
while intuition cannot be quantified, quantity can be intuited. the intuition is the only tool science has for gaining knowledge, therefore it is of utmost use to science. everything "new" is simply an intuition about reality based on observation. intuition can be a guide for those that choose to develop the intuition, and while this development may appear to be an isolated activity, the end of such development will reveal that boundaries between self and other are non-existant.
Old 03/02/2006, 03:31 PM

But there are guidelines and a balance in science between intuition and observation. One cannot simply intuit without showing a logical reason for the assumption. Still, I agree that it would remain a hypothesis or theory until otherwise proven-in some cases we accept theories with minimal proof simply because it appears to have passed our vague requirements for validity. We have to make allowances for the fact that we are not infallible and nothing we have constructed is fail-proof.

Quote:
...the end of such development will reveal that boundaries between self and other are non-existant.
Would you care to elaborate?
Old 03/02/2006, 06:11 PM

IMO time is the length of a process. We invented distance to measure space and so we invented time to measure process. Time is a distance between when a process starts and when it finishes. The point in time (the point in a process to be correct) is also a distance between the known point in a process and the present point in a process. Different processes run parallel to each other and the known point does not have to be in the same process. When you say the time you have to specify the date. If you don't say the date it is because the date is obvious to everyone else and you do not need to specify it. So the time now is 16:30 on the 3rd of February 2006. We chose the point in the process of evolution which is more than 2006 years away to be able to measure all other processes against it. This point is the commonly accepted known point from which we register all other points. So in order to manage time you need to know the origin (00:00:00 on the 1st of January 0000) and the length of a process. If it takes me only 10 minutes to walk to the bus stop and I leave now I will be there at 16:40. How do I know the length of my walking? Because I have done it before many times and I memorised how long it takes. If I have to walk to the post office which is half way to the bus stop but I have never been there before I can approximate that the walking will be half the time I spend to get to the bus stop. Where is intuition in all of this? So far it is pure mathematics. Timetables are not done by intuition, they are calculated properly based on facts, facts that are obtained empirically and not by means of visions and omens. So where is all of that in that -> ?
Old 03/02/2006, 06:45 PM

Not all intuition is visions and omens though... Besides, the concept of the passage of time does to some degree require an "inner clock", whether that's a biological side effect of our cognitive abilities or some individual instinct. Our ancestors eventually had a sense that events occured in particular orders and patterns, before they had the concrete evidence for it. I can see that being called intuition.
Old 03/02/2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Not all intuition is visions and omens though... Besides, the concept of the passage of time does to some degree require an "inner clock", whether that's a biological side effect of our cognitive abilities or some individual instinct. Our ancestors eventually had a sense that events occured in particular orders and patterns, before they had the concrete evidence for it. I can see that being called intuition.
And ironically, you just used some strong intuition (seems Ne) there to form that premise. Good job.
Old 03/02/2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I knew someone would mention inner clock...

I personally think inner clock is nothing more than the memories of the duration of different processes, therefore you can always draw relevant memory containing information of some similar process to approximate whatever that you need to estimate time wise. If you have never been to the Tower of London (I haven't) I want to see how you can use your internal clock to figure how long it would take to climb up the stairs to the top before you even get there...
Old 03/02/2006, 07:32 PM

Perhaps we have different definitions of intuition. To me, intuition does require some level of stimuli. Intiution does not occur in a vaccuum where no data exists to verify its constructs. Therefore, to me, having (or developing) an inclination to grasp concepts without having them expressed as physical evidence is a form of intuition. Not only does this require input from somewhere, it requires that one interpret it to come to a conclusion as to what will happen next-often with little more than the original stimulus.
Old 03/02/2006, 07:35 PM

A huge part of intuition are memories though.
Old 03/02/2006, 07:36 PM

That doesn't make it any less valid, does it?