Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 05/06/2008, 02:25 PM
Gone on holiday...

Default Why do you find yourself interested in socionics?

Why do you find yourself interested in socionics?
Old 05/06/2008, 02:32 PM

Because it's a protoscience that I can learn in depth and therefore master. I'm too stupid for the hard sciences at anything more than a layman level. Well, maybe I could do biology, but it's too late now, I already have my arts degree. Plus, I naturally enjoy talking about other people and myself. I want to write a novel some day, and it might be a tool I can use for character construction along with my usual people-watching.
Old 05/06/2008, 02:35 PM
Gone on holiday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandapanda View Post
Because it's a protoscience that I can learn in depth and therefore master. I'm too stupid for the hard sciences at anything more than a layman level. Well, maybe I could do biology, but it's too late now, I already have my arts degree. Plus, I naturally enjoy talking about other people and myself. I want to write a novel some day, and it might be a tool I can use for character construction along with my usual people-watching.
That's very interesting thank you. I'm really looking forward to other peoples replies.
Old 05/06/2008, 04:15 PM
Omnomnom

I want to learn more about myself - to be able to categorize myself. Identity thing.
Old 05/06/2008, 05:40 PM
the Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I'd like to eventually incorporate it into my primarily neuroethological/behaviorist models of psychology.
Old 05/06/2008, 07:31 PM
Omnomnom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowpuppet View Post
I'd like to eventually incorporate it into my primarily neuroethological/behaviorist models of psychology.
Please explain this. I have just started taking Intro to Psych, and I would love to see how certain things (chemicals, right-left brain, etc) affect our type, or if they can correlate. Similar?
Old 05/06/2008, 07:39 PM
the Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanerou View Post
Please explain this. I have just started taking Intro to Psych, and I would love to see how certain things (chemicals, right-left brain, etc) affect our type, or if they can correlate. Similar?
This is actually something different, I learned about behaviorism from a course called behavior modification which deals with operant and respondent conditioning, and neuroethology from a class called comparative psychology which deals with the actual physical mechanisms in our body that produce both voluntary and involuntary behaviors, and whether they are susceptible to environmental or genetic tampering (especially in animals).

u!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibration View Post
Thanks. Now I understand why Prom thinks you are the most intelligent person at this forum.
Old 05/06/2008, 07:49 PM
Omnomnom

Fascinating. How do you plan to tie it in with type?
Old 05/06/2008, 07:52 PM
the Omniscient

Quote:
Fascinating. How do you plan to tie it in with type?
I'm not sure yet...I'll be observing until I am struck with an insightful leap of reductionism that will allow me to eradicate socionics and replace it with something more efficient and generalized. I just had one today concerning why it is better to apply constant pressure than to use a series of explosive shocks, something I have been subconsciously puzzling over for at least five years...

u!

Quote:
Thanks. Now I understand why Prom thinks you are the most intelligent person at this forum.
Old 05/06/2008, 07:54 PM
Omnomnom

Quote:
I'm not sure yet...I'll be observing until I am struck with an insightful leap of reductionism that will allow me to eradicate socionics and replace it with something more efficient and generalized.
I do understand the efficiency problem, but if it works, why fix it?

Quote:
I just had one today concerning why it is better to apply constant pressure than to use a series of explosive shocks, something I have been subconsciously puzzling over for at least five years...
O.O Have fun with that.
Old 05/06/2008, 07:56 PM
the Omniscient

Quote:
I do understand the efficiency problem, but if it works, why fix it?

O.O Have fun with that.
Thanks; it is actually about incorporating things that are not accommodated by the current theory and eradicating holistic or redundant measurements...

u!

Quote:
Old 05/06/2008, 07:57 PM
Omnomnom

Quote:
Thanks...it is actually about incorporating things that are not accommodated by the current theory...
I see. Out of curiosity, mightn't that complicate it further?
Old 05/06/2008, 07:59 PM
the Omniscient

Quote:
I see. Out of curiosity, mightn't that complicate it further?
Sorry I added the rest after you started replying...hopefully undiscovered behaviors that are at the root of say both sensing and perceiving will eliminate the need for two separate categories and still account for the different types, etc.

u!

Quote:
Old 05/06/2008, 08:02 PM
Omnomnom

Quote:
Sorry I added the rest after you started replying...hopefully undiscovered behaviors that are at the root of say both sensing and perceiving will eliminate the need for two separate categories and still account for the different types, etc.
Huh. *shrugs* I'm more for defined categories, but that's me.
Old 05/06/2008, 08:05 PM
the Omniscient

Quote:
I wouldn't count on it though, but any insight will be worth the effort. The main reason is that there are already 2^4 different types, so unless each category has more than two options (like 2 complement categories with four competing options giving 4^2 types) it will not possible. This could be realized using a sytem that has an E/I-T/F category with four types ET, EF, IT, and IF, but that wouldn't accomplish anything different. However the diverted focus might be useful for exploring new patterns and trends within socionics.

u!

Quote:

Last edited by shadowpuppet; 05/06/2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05/06/2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure yet...I'll be observing until I am struck with an insightful leap of reductionism that will allow me to eradicate socionics and replace it with something more efficient and generalized.
I say just add another dichotomy and it's fine.
Old 05/06/2008, 08:28 PM
the Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensi View Post
I say just add another dichotomy and it's fine.
They already have a bunch of those - The Big Five, The Global Five, etc...

From INTp uncovered: That's all folks, it's a dissection time!

u!

Quote:

Last edited by shadowpuppet; 05/06/2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05/06/2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
hi,
how would you describe this need of yours for defined categories? Do you see it as an Se thing or a Te thing etc.etc ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
It had the ability to explain why i got along great with certain people of the same looks/energy dispositions.....and why I had problems with some of the other types.

Last edited by kensi; 05/06/2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06/06/2008, 12:12 AM
Omnomnom

Quote:
hi,
how would you describe this need of yours for defined categories? Do you see it as an Se thing or a Te thing etc.etc ?
I would suspect it's Ti-related, seeing as how Ti calls for structure.
Old 06/06/2008, 02:36 AM

Quote:
I would suspect it's Ti-related, seeing as how Ti calls for structure.
  • Ti represents "real internal structure":.....whether modified by the directness of the outerworld noticeable thru Se ....or.....whether modified by the consequentiality( and overall potentiality )of the impending outerworld to emerge noticeable thru Ne
  • Te represents "real external structure":......whether modified by the traditionalism/ perhaps empiricsm of the past (Si)....or....whether modified by the changes possible in the object manipulation world thru Ni
to me T is always the structure, S can be substituted in its place but this will only symbolize the structure's forms.

Quote:
to me T is always the structure, S can be substituted in its place but this will only symbolize the structure's forms.

you cant dispute this because F (the subjective dispositioin, wherever found in life---the real life or living essence around us) cannot exist without inherting a structural attitude (T) within which it can find its existence.

Last edited by kensi; 06/06/2008 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost