Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 11/03/2006, 07:12 AM
House Robot

Default Re: Belief and Logic

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Prometheus:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by Bone_Roller:
Indubitable truth is only found where we define it and is only doubtless within that scope.

Is the above statement an indubitable statement?

No. [/QB]

Prove it.
Here is a proof: I'm not sure I know exactly what it means. Therefore it's easy for me to doubt it.
Old 11/03/2006, 10:09 AM

This is what I've found on indubitable:

indubitable

<philosophy of science, gnoseology> the characteristic of a proposition whose truth cannot be doubted, such as "My father is older than I am," even though (given bizarre suppositions about time and/or human conception) it might be false. Descartes and other modern philosophers supposed that only such propositions would provide a suitable foundation for human knowledge. Recommended Reading: Michael Williams, Unnatural Doubts (Princeton, 1995); David Owens, Reason Without Freedom: The Problem of Epistemic Normativity (Routledge, 2000); and Nicholas Nathan, The Price of Doubt (Routledge, 2000).

http://www.swif.uniba.it/lei/foldop/...gi?indubitable
Old 11/03/2006, 11:19 AM
House Robot

Then I understood the concept "undubitable" correctly. And what I have said so far about undubitable truths is probably true.
Old 11/03/2006, 11:24 AM

Hey, don't get excited Prom, this is just one definition of indubitable.
Old 11/03/2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Then I understood the concept "undubitable" correctly. And what I have said so far about undubitable truths is probably true.
Hahaha! I LOVE you! Slowly and surely I realize what you're saying.
Is this good or bad?
Old 11/03/2006, 11:55 AM
House Robot

Quote:
Hahaha! I LOVE you! Slowly and surely I realize what you're saying.
Is this good or bad?
Don't know.

Do you prefer another definition of "undubitable", SG?
Old 11/03/2006, 01:25 PM

It doesn't matter what I prefer, Prom, I am trying to be objective here that's why I'm saying this is A definition of dubitable, and not THE definition, although I know you wish for it to be the only definition since you rely on your disability to take things literally.
Old 11/03/2006, 02:15 PM
House Robot

You are completely wrong about that, SG. The only thing that matters is which definition you prefer. It doesn't matter at all if the definition we both can agree on is the one preferred by others or not, as long as we know what we are talking about. The above definition of indubitable is what I mean by indubitable. If you have a different concept in mind when you use the word "indubitable", we are simply talking about different things, and, in that case, I suggest you define what you mean by "indubitable".
Old 11/03/2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
You are completely wrong about that, SG. The only thing that matters is which definition you prefer.
I wonder if you even read what you post. If my definition of a table is an article of furniture supported by one or more vertical legs and having a flat horizontal surface and your definition of it is an orderly arrangement of data, especially one in which the data are arranged in columns and rows in an essentially rectangular form, when I say to you "last night I was sitting at the table and was having my dinner", you would not understand a word I said. This is why it is important to agree on a definition before an argument so people know that they're talking about the same thing. So what I or you personally prefer the definition to be is unimportant, what important is what we all agree upon. Do I really have to explain these trivial things to you as to a child? And before you even think of arguing this point I implore you to read what I just said again and again and again until it starts making sense to you.
Old 11/03/2006, 05:52 PM
House Robot

Quote:
This is why it is important to agree on a definition before an argument so people know that they're talking about the same thing. So what I or you personally prefer the definition to be is unimportant, what important is what we all agree upon.
That was exactly what I was trying to say. It was never my intention to suggest that I have an opinion on what the definition of indubitable is. I don't care how people define their words as long as I understand which concepts those words stand for.

History is repeating itself. I now have the exact same feeling as I sometimes have had after a discussion with one Quasi-Identical that I have known my whole life. Maybe we have the exact same view on this, SG, maybe not. I can't even determine whether we agree or disagree.

If you still think that I have misunderstood something, I hope that some one, who is not INTj or INTp, could explain to me why SG doesn't understand what I'm trying to say, and why I perhaps miss something essential in what he is trying to say.
Old 11/03/2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
That was exactly what I was trying to say.
What are you talking about?
This:

Quote:
The only thing that matters is which definition you prefer.
is exactly opposite to this:

Quote:
Originally posted by SG:
So what I or you personally prefer the definition to be is unimportant, what important is what we all agree upon.
Old 12/03/2006, 01:05 AM
House Robot

Maybe my formulation is misleading. When I say that the "only thing that matters is which definition you prefer" I mean that the important thing is how you define a certain word, and that I understand what you mean by that word. And that is to me the same thing as "what important is what we all agree upon."