Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 14/09/2006, 01:46 AM

Default What word would you use to describe...

...when people around you tend to take on your own habits/oddities?

Example: When i was younger I used to smoke cigarettes mainly because in my house it was forbidden... but anyways i would have a rather bad habit of spitting after every time i took a drag off the cigarette. My friends eventually start cursing me because they had started to do it too subconsciously.

That's just one example but the longer i interact with people the more they imitate me subconsciously.
Old 14/09/2006, 03:59 AM

Default Re: What word would you use to describe...

mi·me·sis
n.
The imitation or representation of aspects of the sensible world, especially human actions, in literature and art.
Biology. Mimicry.
Medicine. The appearance, often caused by hysteria, of symptoms of a disease not actually present.

That's pretty similar but there must be a better word and I'm sure you'll run into it one day.

In psychodynamics there is the concept of introjection where person "A" begins to believe they possess the qualities of person "B" when in reality they don't(but eventually they do). I suppose this might lead to emulation. Some definitions I have read describe it in terms which pretty much fit what you are talking about.

Maybe your friends are jealous of you. Or maybe it is just instinctive copying left over from prehistoric times. Their unconscious doesn't realize it is a pointless process.

Or maybe it isn't pointless and their unconsious realizes but their conscious doesn't.

Or maybe they aren't mimicing you at all and watching you do it just makes them notice they do it. Unless you're all together when they blame you. Then you are a scapegoat. Or maybe one has the so-called mimesis while the other is just scapegoating, or some other arrangement of concepts.
Old 14/09/2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
That's just one example but the longer i interact with people the more they imitate me subconsciously.
Do you mimic other people yourself?
Old 18/09/2006, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Do you mimic other people yourself?
Hmmm. I wouldn't say i mimic others. Behaviors i do not copy but other things i might. I may have latent likes for certain things that i otherwise would not act upon unless around others. Perhaps i simply like to share experiences with others rather than be the only one experiencing something.
Old 29/04/2018, 04:41 PM
the Omniscient

Influence?

u!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibration View Post
Thanks. Now I understand why Prom thinks you are the most intelligent person at this forum.