Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 30/08/2006, 05:51 AM

Default Can It Be? (Very Long, sry, bear with me plz)

Hello, I am an INFJ and am fairly acquainted with the MBTI and socionics theory. My main concern is whether socionics provides accurate information (I know that such skepticism is prevalent with those of a thinking preference). Simply put I just want scientific proof- once again rather uncharacteristic of my type which only heightens my suspicion.

I just feel that it is too hard to believe that people can be defined by these profiles which I think are rather general guidelines that partially pigeon-hole several people. Though I will agree that the INFJ profile’s general guidelines correspond with mine- such as my religious convictions to compassion for others- some do not; for example it says that I cannot stand violence. This is to a degree correct. I do not like resorting to physical confrontations and will rather try to avoid them; but in extreme cases where action is necessary, I am prepared to face adversity. I also like to watch fighting events such as UFC and Pride Fighting Championship and actually train in three martial arts: kickboxing, wrestling, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I'm not trying to be negative (please do not doubt me moderators) but it just seems too good to be true. I have an earnest interest in people and their emotions. I try to put general concepts around humans and what they would do in certain situations; but this, this site with its descriptions is the equivalent of Einstein discovering the theory of relativity. It is incredible but once again it’s so descriptive that I cannot help but be skeptic. I am wary though because of the physical descriptions. It is too specific but to my amazement, the physical description of an INFJ, including aesthetic tastes were remarkably accurate.

Many may conjecture from above that I am actually an INTP but this is far from true. I am rather organized and plan my actions in advance and have compassion for several humanist causes such as starving children in Africa to helping fellow Christians at my school to the point where it may move me to tears. Also I hate math… yes, I admit. I prefer literature and writing.

In conclusion- and I know most of you must be muttering to yourself finally, you driveling pedant- I simply want proof and nothing more. Opinions or anecdotes will not help unless I see some scientific fact. Moderators please do not delete this because it took me a long time to write such a composition and also because this is an interesting question that is pursued by the most ardent defenders of socionics. So basically, this is to your advantage, IF you could support your claims. Thank you and I will now shut up… lol.
Old 30/08/2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Can It Be? (Very Long, sry, bear with me plz)

I think you would agree, it's useful to understand the Theory of Universal Gravity. For example, you know that if you fall from a high place you will hit the ground..."The proof is in the pudding", so to speak. You probably agree that it is a good idea to have handrails on staircases, correct? Type theory is similarly useful. You can predict what will happen if you enter into a relationship with an ESTP.
Old 30/08/2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Moderators please do not delete this because...
Dude relax, there are no moderators here, just a couple of lazy admins
Old 08/09/2006, 03:23 PM

i think psychology is yet to find a newton, let alone an einstein.
Old 09/09/2006, 12:38 AM

lol, quite true
Old 10/09/2006, 04:12 AM

Here are some random thoughts I might as well share.

So what you are talking about with the whole Einstein/Newton idea is creating a stable paradigm in the area of interpersonal psychology... This is very hard to do in a science without strict quantitation of parameters that are used to establish patterns and rules. What will be quantified in socionics? Noone seems to agree on a test that is at least minimally acceptable to demarcate dispositions of function, unlike in "traditional" sciences such as physics and chemistry that have standards that are accepted by nearly everyone.

Also, as an interesting side note, I think Newton was every bit as bright, if not perhaps brighter, than Einstein. Each scientist achieved the creation of a new system that explained certain natural phenomena better than a previous theory, in addition to allowing for the explanation of anomalous occurances. These anomalous occurances are, of course, the reasons why new scientific theories are developed in the first place. These ideas were elaborated quite well by Thomas Kuhn-- interesting stuff.

So the question is, can socionics establish these strict guidelines that other hard sciences seem to possess? And should it? I actually think disciplines are more interesting if they are discontinuous... This doesn't necessarily make everyone happy, but it is probably more realistic and doesn't reduce a wide spectrum of phenomena to a few simple rules, which puts limitations on what can be explained...
Old 29/04/2018, 04:47 PM
the Omniscient

I think of socionics more as philosophy than science.

u!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibration View Post
Thanks. Now I understand why Prom thinks you are the most intelligent person at this forum.