Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 07/02/2006, 11:05 PM

Default Re: How seriously do people take MBTI/Socionics?

I see typing as a tool. Theories are works in progress, and they can always be improved upon or disputed. Personally personality testing has helped me understand how very differently individuals may see and explore their world. It has not always been accurate, and there are things that cannot be explained by it, but I don't expect it to "decode me". There are a number of factors that make me who I am, and it's impossible for typology to conceive of all the factors which effect the attitudes and lives of every human being every minute of every day for as long as they live.
I find it interesting (and fun), but I don't try to justify its accuracy. It may work for me but not work at all for you, and I don't think it has to-everyone doesn't fit in nice little pigeonholes, and why should they? Forcing yourself to be a type as defined by a group of people based on some theory or another would be missing the point, I think.
That being said, people can take any idea to its extreme. You'll find die hard fans of football teams who will be ready to clobber you to a bloody pulp over a penalty. There are people who believe that anyone who denies that the earth is flat will burn in hell. It is strange or even unnerving, but it doesn't mean that one can't enjoy the concept without drowning in details.
Old 08/02/2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
How seriously do people take MBTI/Socionics?
Why do you want to know this? Because you think that some people take the theories for a little more than they are? Yes, it probably happens all the time, so what? Why do you care?
Old 08/02/2006, 08:30 AM

Default How seriously do people take MBTI/Socionics?

Now, before people should label me a provocateur, let me just establish I agree with a psychological typology as a practical instrument and think that it should be understood in a holistic sense. I agree with many of the theories of Jung, MBTI and socionics(differences aside). However, I think that som people take the theories for a little more than they are.

First a little background: I have spent the last six months reading incessantly about typology on websites and in Jung’s own book. The subject fascinates me very much although I still do not know everything by heart. Still, many of the type descriptions made sense to me, but I could never get past the scepticism towards the “mathematical” aspect of MBTI/Socionics.

This brings me to my major objections:

1) It seems to me that some people have become lodged in a particular worldview: People are discussing whether Thinking is their auxiliary or second auxiliary function(or whatever) and how it affects their personality. This, to me, illustrates the possible “dangers” of becoming trapped by a system. And that is exactly the problem: All these theories, albeit useful, elevate the words of Jung to dogma and try to divide something as complex as the mind into black/white categories. However, as with all systems, it is possible to develop them further: Rmcnew(as I understand, he is the person behind the website socion.info) has further elaborated the socionics theory by incorporating ALL eight functions in his determination of personality type. This proves that it is possible to systematize anything; it just depends on how factors you choose to operate with. We could subdivide further until we have as many types as there are people on the earth.

2) Secondly, the MBTI/Socionics feud appears to me as two religious fractions arguing over whose theories are closest to those of Jung…interesting(where in world history have we encountered this? ). This is how I understand the J/P distinction

a) In MBTI theory, what determines J/P is whether the extraverted function(be it primary or secondary) is rational or irrational. An introvert intuitive with extraverted feeling is thus a Judging type because the function dealing with the world is rational.
b) In socionics, rationality/irrationally strictly pertains to the primary function(correct me if I am wrong). An introvert intuitive is thus way a Perceiver, because intuition is an irrational function.

On basis of these differences, one can conclude that Socionics comes closer to Jungian theory, although I find the socionic description of my personality(supposedly INFp in socionics, and INFj in MBTI) to be extremely erroneous. Both theories make sense from a logical point of view, but do just that. Applying theory to practice is more difficult.

3) The last point is the whole face characterization issue, which, in all fairness, I doubt that most people take seriously. Still, it seems about as reliable as astrology. It is possible to analyze anything, it just doesn’t make something right(or wrong). With a little elegance one can make the most persuasive arguments about the most dubious subjects!

All criticism aside, all these websites have given me valuable insight into my own personally and have helped me express things that I could not find words to previously. I am sorry if I have offended anybody or if my opinions lack consistency – this was not an attempt to write a scientific dissertation.

P.S. I see that there are other users who share my opinions: http://www.socionics.com/ubb/ultimat...opic/3/25.html
Still, the discussion is valid
Old 08/02/2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SG:
Quote:
How seriously do people take MBTI/Socionics?
Why do you want to know this? Because you think that some people take the theories for a little more than they are? Yes, it probably happens all the time, so what? Why do you care?
Well, I do think that some peple take it for more than it is. I am not thinking of anyone in particular. I am asking out of curiosity - Fanatics do exist in all academic disciplines.
Old 08/02/2006, 04:22 PM

Well, Christopher, I kinda got that from your inital post, but this sadly does not answer my question, which is - why do you care?
Old 10/02/2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
However, as with all systems, it is possible to develop them further: Rmcnew(as I understand, he is the person behind the website socion.info) has further elaborated the socionics theory by incorporating ALL eight functions in his determination of personality type. This proves that it is possible to systematize anything; it just depends on how factors you choose to operate with. We could subdivide further until we have as many types as there are people on the earth.
Actually, using all eight functions in the model isn't anything new in socionics; it's called Model-A, and I believe Aushra Augusta originally came up with that one.

The interaction of those functions are suppossed to be the major factor in socionic relationships.

Also, some people have made different subtype theories, so they have already started to classify things further.
Old 10/02/2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SG:
Well, Christopher, I kinda got that from your inital post, but this sadly does not answer my question, which is - why do you care?
I might have only been seeing it from my own perspective: I think it is easy to become obsessed with. I myself have difficulty not using it to type my friends and people I meet, although it is useful.
Old 10/02/2006, 07:08 PM

Ok, fine, you don't want to answer it - don't answer it, I won't be asking you again, sorry.
Old 29/04/2018, 02:07 PM
the Omniscient

I think that part of the value of socionics is in the dichotomies. The types described in each one are essentially opposites, and chances are that you lean towards one or the other.

u!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibration View Post
Thanks. Now I understand why Prom thinks you are the most intelligent person at this forum.