Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 30/05/2008, 08:54 AM

Default Some questions

Well, I am almost certain that my advisor is ENTp but I have troubles identifying the nature of our relationship. Any clues?

I doubt the fact that I am an extravert because I am not the guy who shouts a lot and shows a lot of enthusiasm in social situations. I can be pretty enthusiastic however when discussing something that interests me intellectually.

Something from childhood that also makes me doubt the fact that I am an extravert is that according to my parents I was easily surprised by anything that happens. Very little E.
Old 30/05/2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by complicater-complexer View Post
Well, I am almost certain that my advisor is ENTp but I have troubles identifying the nature of our relationship. Any clues?
i'll try...you cant blame me though if i'm wrong...i dont have a phd in this stuff it's just a personal hobby that touches me time and time again....

here we go...

first off.... advisor can mean 2 different things (Actually 4 if you break it down further)
      1. Are you talking about the type of advisor that gives you a feeling that you're always being supervised.....or the type of advisor that is always giving you feedback so that afterwards you can make a decision on your own as to whether or not the right thing is being done ? ....................................OR........
      2. Are we talking about the type of advisor that it appears almost in a confrontational way has the ability if need be to control you and mix up a lot of your signals(kind of a physical sense here).....or the type which you feel you can control and as a result it seems that he/she is advising you (i know it sounds kinda lame) how to control him/her ?
there are 2 choices within each option but you must only choose 1 overall choice.
Old 30/05/2008, 09:45 AM

1 the second choice.

Just some ideas that might help: last year he travelled to France, so I met him several months after I last saw him. We spent two hours talking.

Honestly the first time I saw him I felt confidence to tell him about me: he was asking me questions to know me. I still can't understand why this good trust that I felt at that time. I usually need to know people long before I can tell them about me deeply.

I might say that our relationship looks good, but I feel that there's a kind of hidden neutrality in it. He never refuses to see me and talk to me. I doubt the fact that we are duals. People think that I like him and that I listen to him a lot.
Old 30/05/2008, 10:08 AM

[quote=complicater-complexer;9595]1 the second choice.
quote]

ok i'll try to work on it on friday if i have time.
Old 30/05/2008, 10:50 AM

OK, enjoy doing it.
Old 30/05/2008, 03:07 PM

I have been reading the + and - descriptiond of all S types:

1. I very strongly doubt being SF. In every SF description I find a lot of things that are really not me.

2. I am too lazy and disorganized to be ESTj or ISTj.

3. For ESTp: I am not decisive, quite the contrary. Because I change a lot what I think I prefer to think well before taking any decision, unless I have previously thought of the thing.

I sometimes show a kind of a sinusoidal energy when talking, not really confident, going back and forth. Other times I do look confident. Is the ESTp always confident? When I talk I don't look agressive, except sometimes.

I do waste a lot of time doing nothing. I am not the guy who always has a fixed objective in his head.

ISTp has a higher chance. So in case I am really S, I can't be anything than ISTp. I am scared of reading the N descriptions and wasting my time.

What do you think? Do I read the N descriptions?
Old 30/05/2008, 04:10 PM
Gone on holiday...

Quote:
I have been reading the + and - descriptiond of all S types:

1. I very strongly doubt being SF. In every SF description I find a lot of things that are really not me.

2. I am too lazy and disorganized to be ESTj or ISTj.

3. For ESTp: I am not decisive, quite the contrary. Because I change a lot what I think I prefer to think well before taking any decision, unless I have previously thought of the thing.

I sometimes show a kind of a sinusoidal energy when talking, not really confident, going back and forth. Other times I do look confident. Is the ESTp always confident? When I talk I don't look agressive, except sometimes.

I do waste a lot of time doing nothing. I am not the guy who always has a fixed objective in his head.

ISTp has a higher chance. So in case I am really S, I can't be anything than ISTp. I am scared of reading the N descriptions and wasting my time.

What do you think? Do I read the N descriptions?
you don't know if its a waste of time until you do it
Old 30/05/2008, 04:34 PM
House Robot

You are definitely not an ESTp, CC. I suggest that you remove that signature of yours immediately. Why on earth do you believe that you are an ESTp? It doesn't make any sense at all in relation to how you describe yourself here.

If I suggested INTp for you in the past, I was probably right about it, because I tend to be right in my typings of people. But I don't remember the arguments now, and neither do I remember what you wrote about yourself back then. All I know for sure is that it is totally impossible for you to be an ESTp AND an INTP. And nothing suggests that you are an ESTp, as far as I can tell.
Old 30/05/2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
All I know for sure is that it is totally impossible for you to be an ESTp AND an INTP.
What do you mean? I can't be ESTp and I can't be INTp?

If I erase ESTp from my signature, with what do I replace it?
Old 30/05/2008, 08:33 PM

Wait, I didn't get your message. You still think I am an INTp because that's how you typed me in the past?
Old 30/05/2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Before i go any further let me just double-check that i understand the situation correctly.....

I'm only going to work off of the original submission, all else that by coincidence is asked i won't take into consideration...
    1. You have some reasonable idea of which type you are
    2. nevertheless you are not sure of who you are
    3. you want to make an attempt to evaluate who you are based on an intertype relationship you have with somebody .......in which you believe you....
        1. reasonably know their type based on certain orthodox set out descriptions
        2. reasonably know the style of intertype relationship you have with him/her (an advisor of some sorts )
    4. You want to pay me lots and lots of money if i'm right and you wont pursue legal action against me if i'm wrong as this may change your life for better or for worse ...lol.....
Old 30/05/2008, 10:20 PM

He is my academic advisor. He is ENTp, that's nearly certain, but I am not certain of the kind of relationship I have with him.

If you do it right I will send you to heaven, if not to hell.lol
Old 30/05/2008, 10:23 PM
Omnomnom

Now, this is coming from a Fi perspective here, but how can you not know the nature of your relationship with your advisor? It seems like the logical question would be "based on our relationship, what type is said person?". Or are you referring strictly to Socionics relations?
Old 30/05/2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
He is my academic advisor. He is ENTp, that's nearly certain, but I am not certain of the kind of relationship I have with him.

If you do it right I will send you to heaven, if not to hell.lol
now do you see yourself in a more favourable position than he is in.....or is he in a more favourable position when it comes to this advice?.....who benefits ? ....is that in any way clear to you ?
Old 30/05/2008, 10:26 PM

Well Kanerou, let me try to answer. What I can say about this relationship is that it looks good but I am not sure whether beyond the appearances it is good or neutral. I wish I could know how he feels about me but that's difficult to know. He shows a lot of friendliness, but what does he think of me? To such question he gives a good answer, but how can I know how honest is he being?
Old 30/05/2008, 10:31 PM
House Robot

Quote:
What do you mean? I can't be ESTp and I can't be INTp?
Of course you can't. ESTp is the same type as ESTP. INTP is the same type as INTp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by complicater-complexer
If I erase ESTp from my signature, with what do I replace it?
Why do you have a type in your signature if you don't know which type you are?
Old 30/05/2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensi View Post
now do you see yourself in a more favourable position than he is in.....or is he in a more favourable position when it comes to this advice?.....who benefits ? ....is that in any way clear to you ?
Well, I think both. I need him, and he needs my positive feedback. Once I was saying that there is a lack of direction for students about one of the courses. He said: didn't I tell you about it before? I said yeah but it was a long time ago. "Should I repeat it every day?" I was surprised that he took it personnally. When I said that the criticism isn't directed against him he replied: I am just asking because I need your feedback.

Few days later when I tried to show him my appreciation he didn't show the happiness I expected.
House Robot

Quote:
Wait, I didn't get your message. You still think I am an INTp because that's how you typed me in the past?
No. I don't know which type you are. But I know that if you really are an INTP, then you are also an INTp.
Omnomnom

Quote:
Well Kanerou, let me try to answer. What I can say about this relationship is that it looks good but I am not sure whether beyond the appearances it is good or neutral. I wish I could know how he feels about me but that's difficult to know. He shows a lot of friendliness, but what does he think of me? To such question he gives a good answer, but how can I know how honest is he being?
I don't see how we'll know what he thinks of you.

*watches the relational part with interest* Maybe nondominant-Fe. Does he constantly show too little emotion for you?
Old 30/05/2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Of course you can't. ESTp is the same type as ESTP. INTP is the same type as INTp.

Why do you have a type in your signature if you don't know which type you are?
Answer by yes or no, do you still believe I am INTp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
No. I don't know which type you are. But I know that if you really are an INTP, then you are also an INTp.
Good. Now I see.

Last edited by complicater-complexer; 30/05/2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost