Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 10/05/2010, 01:19 AM

Default Type and music preference

I thought this might be an interesting experiment.

State your type, maybe a sentence or two about how you feel about music and then list a few artists/songs/albums you love currently/always have loved.

Let's see if we can't get a pattern emerging!

Doesn't have to be a long list maybe ten or so? Maybe you're a music buff and you can't keep a lid on it, I don't mind haha.

I'm ENFp

I have a pretty diverse music taste, leaning towards alternative and electronica on the modern scale, swing jazz if we're going back in time- I find it hard to swallow "chart music," bad/overexposed rap and hip hop and not a fan of R&B (as it is dubbed) - I find it hard to totally love one artist as a whole, love every album and every song, I will pick and choose songs. My ipod is full of incomplete albums which drives some people insane. What were you to expect from an ENFp!??

- Gorillaz (album: Demon Days)
- Royksopp (fave song: Happy Up Here)
- Boards of Canada (probably the one artist I love fully in and out)
- Them Crooked Vultures
- Every Time I Die (album: The Big Dirty)
- Postal Service/Iron and Wine (song: Such Great Heights)
- Daedelus (album: Love to make music to)
- Gustavo Santaolalla (song: The Wings)
- James Newton Howard
- Danny Elfman (and generally a lot of film scores)
- Crookers

That is enough for now I think! Interested to hear your favourites!
Old 10/05/2010, 02:37 PM

oh, fun! (I love stuff like this )

I'm thinking I'm IXFp.

I've been quoted as saying "music is my life". I listen to everything!! As long as the song is good, I don't care what genre it is. I love analyzing the meaning behind the lyrics. When I meet new people, one of the first things I ask them is "what type of music do you listen to?" I'm always asking people what they listen to so I can expand my collection ( & love!) of music.

Trail of Dead: "How Near, How Far", also this verse from "Another Morning Stoner" -

"Why is it I don't feel the same?
Are my longings to be blamed
For not seeing heaven like you would see
Why is a song the world for me?"

A.F.I.: "This Celluloid Dream"

Placebo: "Sleeping with Ghosts"

Bright Eyes: "Lover I Don't Have to Love", "Sunrise, Sunset"

ANYTHING Interpol!! Seriously, they can't not make a bad song in my eyes (or ears? ) my faves are "Rest My Chemistry" & "Stella was a Diver & She was Always Down"

Explosions in the Sky: "A Song for our Fathers", "Catastrophe & the Cure", "Glittering Blackness"

Sergei Rachmaninoff: "Concerto No.2"

"As the Rush Comes" (Gabreil & Dresden mix)

Blink 182: "I'm lost without you"

The Notorious B.I.G.: "Big Poppa"

N.E.R.D.: "Lapdance", "Brain" <<-----hilarious!!

Nirvana: "About a Girl", "Love Buzz", "The Man who sold the World"

Seether: "Gasoline"

Citizen Cope: "Sideways", "Salvation"

WEEZER!! another band that makes the awesomest music! "El Scorcho" is the best!

well, I could go on & on & on &...but I'll stop.
Old 10/05/2010, 06:20 PM

ENTp

Chevelle(best band in the world), Unearth, Modest Mouse, Manchester Orchestra, Kings of Leon, Korn (their old stuff), Greenday (old stuff), System of a Down, Fear Factory (esoteric surgery, best song), The Flood, Pantera, Metallica... etc.

Soooo Indie and metal
Old 11/05/2010, 02:00 AM

ENFp
Classical, especially the stuff with violins. Some Nightwish, some Apocalyptica, some Within Temptation, some Linkin Park, some country, some latin music... I like a lot of stuff, and which band I prefer kinda depends on my mood.
Old 11/05/2010, 04:31 AM
The Looks

I don't think music preference is type related. There might be a slight correlation between quadra values and certain lyrics and messages.

I'll participate anyway.

ENFp
My tastes are very rock-centric, mainly classic rock, esp. progressive. Most of the music I listen to is from the late 60s through 80s. My absolute favorite band is Rush, followed by the Beatles. I'm not really into a lot of mainstream modern rock, but I do like a lot of pop music. I generally dislike hip-hop, metal, and emo. I pretty much despise rap and country. Even within the genres I dislike, there are still a few songs/bands that I enjoy from them.

An' I says, "Stan, you prolly right."

Last edited by stanprollyright; 11/05/2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11/05/2010, 07:35 AM

<--- INTx

The human voice is quite an instrument but I generally prefer music without it, either because the lyrical content is insipid or doesn't emotionally/thematically jibe with my impression of the music, because the singing is annoying, or because singing/speaking can interfere with my reading of books (but somehow not the internet). Opera's dramatic extravagances drive me away, though I enjoy the dirty thrill of quality screaming from bands like EYEHATEGOD and Pig Destroyer, or the occasional maudlin foppery of Erasure, Gary Numan, and Culture Club.

Being at least mildly synaesthetic I find most classical pretty but predictably geometric and symmetrical, like looking into a kaleidoscope or watching a . On the other hand, modern composers like Bartok, Webern, Penderecki, and Ligeti have a more organic, painterly approach that evokes imagery for me such as writhing masses of snakes, rain-swollen rivers, flights from unseen forest pursuers, massing thunderstorms, a jungle reclaiming a forgotten temple over the passage of eons, etc. Classical guitarists like Julian Bream and flamenco mofos like Carlos Montoya give me wood.

Other than that I'm into post-rock (Explosions in the Sky, pg.lost), doom/stoner metal (Down, High on Fire), drill and bass (Aphex, the Flashbulb), old dark jungle (Source Direct, Photek), 70s-80s reggae (Scientist, Lee Perry, Trojan Records re-releases), pre-80s country (Marty Robbins, Wanda Jackson), post-WWII jazz of the free, fusion, and hard bop strains (Sun Ra, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie), 70s funk (BT Express, the JBs), dancehall (Capleton, Gentleman), various kinds of African and South American music (Rocafil Jazz, Los Escorpiones), analog synth twiddling (Wendy Carlos, Moog Cookbook), pretty much anything but house/techno, Celine Dion, and Aerosmith.
Old 11/05/2010, 11:36 AM

ENTp

I listen to more than metal, but mainly metal. I can't decide on the style, but in general I prefer black metal (Burzum, Satyricon, Gorgoroth, Ancient, Judas Iscariot, Trelldom), pagan/viking (eg. Falkenbach but definitely not Amon Amarth ), gothic (Therion, Lake of Tears[old]) doom (Pantheist, Reclusiam, Uaral) or hard/heavy (Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer, King Diamond['95-2000]), even experimental or funk (Dornenreich, Devil Doll, Notre Dame, Ved Buens Ende) or rock (Queen) + some symphonic here and there (especially game music, like HOMM3, Max Payne, Myth3 or Mount & Blade), some dark/goth or atmospheric.
Some if not most of these bands are underground and there relatively many more that I consider and if I'd have to name a style, definitely black metal.

I'm somewhere between "serious" music with deep meaning or something (like nihilsm) to theatrical, depends on the periodic mood. I rather have preferred albums and tracks than bands, there are things I like and others I don't.

I'm a sound and atmosphere listener, not really much lyrics.
Old 11/05/2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
pretty much anything but house/techno, Celine Dion, and Aerosmith.

(filler..)
Old 11/05/2010, 02:21 PM

Well interestingly I'm definitely starting to see some little correlations between people, considering quite alot of us Ep's have written in this thread. I'm inundated with some work at the moment so wil write more on it when I've decided that I can afford a break!
Old 13/05/2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Explosions in the Sky: "A Song for our Fathers"
I always imagine this one as old vacuum cleaners rocking back and forth in downward-curving arcs across a summer sky.

Old 13/05/2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
k0rps3y:
I always imagine this one as old vacuum cleaners rocking back and forth in downward-curving arcs across a summer sky.
wow... umm... wow... really random... Do they rock back & forth for the entirety of the song?

I see you mentioned Miles Davis. My father thought I might like him, so he bought me a 3 disc compilation of his stuff a long time ago. But man, I find the dissonance too distracting/difficult to listen to most of the time. I will say though, his rendition of "Summertime" is one of my favorites.

Quote:
ENTroP:
ENTp

Chevelle(best band in the world), Unearth, Modest Mouse, Manchester Orchestra, Kings of Leon, Korn (their old stuff), Greenday (old stuff), System of a Down, Fear Factory (esoteric surgery, best song), The Flood, Pantera, Metallica... etc.

Soooo Indie and metal
All good bands, imo. KOL: "On Call" I love how they feature the bass line, at least initially. Such a good beat.
Old 15/05/2010, 03:22 AM

nahbee1235
Quote:
Quote:
wow... umm... wow... really random... Do they rock back & forth for the entirety of the song?
No, just during the portions with the zooming feedback drone from 3:13 onward, otherwise it's hazy, vaseline-on-lens mental footage of speckled sunlight peeping through leafy tree branches, sparkly blue lakes, and other happy-go-lucky summertime stuff. Much the same as I visualize while listening to Boards of Canada's typical tunes.

Quote:
I see you mentioned Miles Davis. My father thought I might like him, so he bought me a 3 disc compilation of his stuff a long time ago. But man, I find the dissonance too distracting/difficult to listen to most of the time. I will say though, his rendition of "Summertime" is one of my favorites.
Funny, I steer clear of his standards (and most other jazz musicians' as well) in favor of original material, especially Decoy, Aura, On the Corner, and Bitches Brew. As far as dissonance goes, my appetite for things like Merzbow or Nurse With Wound is lower than before, but otherwise, gimme gimme gimme!
Old 15/05/2010, 03:26 AM

ENTP here! I have musical ADD, and I like so much variety. Mainly, I am drawn to Indie/Alternative, Electronica, GeekMetal (like Nightwish and stuff), classically-influenced instrumentals like Secret Garden, Progressive Rock like The Flaming Lips......

Music speaks to me like nothing else. It fuels all of my creativity.
Old 17/05/2010, 02:20 AM
Quarantined

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
I don't think music preference is type related. There might be a slight correlation between quadra values and certain lyrics and messages.

I'll participate anyway.

ENFp
My tastes are very rock-centric, mainly classic rock, esp. progressive. Most of the music I listen to is from the late 60s through 80s. My absolute favorite band is Rush, followed by the Beatles. I'm not really into a lot of mainstream modern rock, but I do like a lot of pop music. I generally dislike hip-hop, metal, and emo. I pretty much despise rap and country. Even within the genres I dislike, there are still a few songs/bands that I enjoy from them.
I've seen this topic discussed on other forums from the discussions I've seen, there doesn't appear to be much of a correlation between music preference and type. As Stan said, I agree that its not so much the style of music that's type related but possibly the lyrical content is.

But that said, my tastes are very similar to Stans and we are very different types. I tend to like a lot of classic rock/oldies, including music made well before my time. I also enjoy classical, jazz, and electronica. I tend to dislike more often than not heavy metal, rap, and country. But occassionally I'll find a song I like in those genres. There's no genre I like or dislike entirely. I go more by the song itself and don't really have favorite artists per se.

Also, I tend to pay little attention to the lyrics and more on the rhythm and melody.

What I suspect may be more type related is not so much what type of music we prefer listening to but the listening habits themselves.

These were some questions I raised on another forum, interested to see what you think:

#1) Are you more inclined to listen to music based on your current mood? Are you one of those people who has a preset playlist based on different moods and situations?

OR

Do you just know that you are in the mood for some music but don't know precisely what you're in the mood for until you hear it?

OR

Do you take on the mood of the song you're currently listening to at the time?

#2) Are you inclined to have a few favorite pieces that you can listen to over and over again and never tire of.

OR

Do you find that even you get bored easily after repeated listenings of something, even your favorites.

#3) Are you inclined to enjoy exploring new styles of music, including those that are very different from what you're accustomed to hearing.

OR

Do you find you primarily stick to a certain genre and while you may enjoy exploring different artists within that genre, you don't feel much need to venture out beyond that.

As for myself:

#1 I'm a little bit like of each of these but I don't make playlists. I think I'm most like the second option of the three. I can take on the mood of what's currently playing up to a certain point. If the mood of the music playing is *too* different from my current mood, I'm not that likely to take on the mood of the music. I might find it kind of annoying if I'm in a melancholy mood and the music around me is really upbeat.

#2 The first option. When I was younger I would play the same song over and over up to the annoyance of my family.

#3 The first option. Even though there are some songs I can listen to over and over, I also like listening to a wide variety of styles of music and discovering completely new things that I find I like.

Would you like you for a child?
Old 17/05/2010, 07:24 AM
The Looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhitesquare View Post
Also, I tend to pay little attention to the lyrics and more on the rhythm and melody.
Same here. I may like song because of a clever lyric here or there, but I typically select music based on the music itself, not the words associated with it.

Quote:
#1) Are you more inclined to listen to music based on your current mood? Are you one of those people who has a preset playlist based on different moods and situations?

OR

Do you just know that you are in the mood for some music but don't know precisely what you're in the mood for until you hear it?

OR

Do you take on the mood of the song you're currently listening to at the time?
Either the first or third one, depending on how strong my previous mood is. the stronger the preexisting mood, the more likely I'll be like the first one.

Quote:
#2) Are you inclined to have a few favorite pieces that you can listen to over and over again and never tire of.

OR

Do you find that even you get bored easily after repeated listenings of something, even your favorites.
I generally lean towards the second one, but recently I've noticed myself not being able to get enough of certain songs for a short period of time. It's like I have to get it out of my system. Then once I do it I enjoy the songs whenever they come on but usually have no desire to play them on my own.

[quote=bigwhitesquare;22446#3) Are you inclined to enjoy exploring new styles of music, including those that are very different from what you're accustomed to hearing.

OR

Do you find you primarily stick to a certain genre and while you may enjoy exploring different artists within that genre, you don't feel much need to venture out beyond that.[/QUOTE]

Second one.

An' I says, "Stan, you prolly right."
Old 19/05/2010, 10:36 PM

i get songs i like alot then get bored and find new ones
but energetic bands be my favorite. crystal fighters, kap bambino. i think theyre pretty beta judging by the levels of energy and the destructive streak to some extent
depends on mood though. sometimes something relaxing like yppah
but sometimes something shit-cheesy about love and loss like maximo park or the wombats

but i think different music definately has different levels of emotional CHARGE to it. like SG said on socionics.com about different people possessing different levels of CHARGE when interacting, some music forces emotion out of you i find
Old 31/05/2010, 03:15 PM

ENTp, 25 yo male

LOVE music.. helped me through my turbulent highschool years. became a musician myself.. have been writing music for the last 12 years and won't ever stop.

fave bands (too many to mention but here's a few...)

smashing pumpkins (greatest rock band of the 90s)
TOOL (totally NT music here..)
silverchair (for sheer diversity and musical ingenuity)
placebo (without you im nothing - best album)
tegan and sara (recent fave, love their quirkyness and vocal harmonies)
sigur ros

love electronic music too.. mainly trance
tiesto, ferry corsten, above and beyond.. etc etc

music is the only way i can tap into my emotional side, and the lyrics I write I find really difficult to sing or publish because I feel it's too soul baring. but i eventually come around to it.
Old 31/05/2010, 03:28 PM

STP - Rock and Rap. I hate country.
Old 31/05/2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp_gem View Post
TOOL (totally NT music here..)
Interesting. I have a good friend who likes Tool (it's rather unknown here) and Nine Inch Nails. I typed him as ISTp, but it's not proven.

I (ILI) listen to many genres, it's more the individual quality that's important to me. My favourite bands and artists include Franz Ferdinand, NIN, Frank Klepacki, Bolt Thrower and the Doors (I actually like much of the 60s music, Jefferson Airplane and the B-52's for example). I mostly dislike (gangsta) Rap and RnB. Sometimes I enjoy listening to Drum & Bass, but I don't like most of the techno stuff.
Old 31/05/2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp_gem View Post

music is the only way i can tap into my emotional side, and the lyrics I write I find really difficult to sing or publish because I feel it's too soul baring. but i eventually come around to it.

yes i became friends with a lady who was working for my father who would say this about singing being incredibly raw. she said she'd sing with a guitar so that she was "protected" to some extent