Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 27/05/2010, 10:18 PM

Default Drop everything and read this

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog...arming__1.html

Note especially the following paragraph:
Quote:
Recent analysis of ice cores from Greenland show that climate change occurs abruptly with temperature swings of up to 15 degrees over a 10-year period dramatically altering the climate rather than gradual change over hundreds of thousands of years. One thing is certain, change is on the way.
Old 27/05/2010, 11:17 PM

Panic much? Typical of Beta STs
Old 27/05/2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG View Post
Panic much? Typical of Beta STs
so how would their dual respond to that? It made me want to fear more, so I'm no help.
Old 27/05/2010, 11:26 PM
Gone on holiday...

lol yeah. We just had such convo about ice caps on chatbox. Personally just happy to chill with a keg an watch the world n the girls go by (as the song goes..) for a while for a while.. gee where did the time go lol
Old 28/05/2010, 02:12 PM

Ni has been occupying my mind lately. My mind is always travelling in time. And that's causing me a lot of worries.
Old 28/05/2010, 02:32 PM
Gone on holiday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by complicater-complexer View Post
Ni has been occupying my mind lately. My mind is always travelling in time. And that's causing me a lot of worries.
If Ni is travelling in time in the mind, is Ne travelling in time IRL?
Old 28/05/2010, 06:50 PM
The Looks

Quote:
Drop everything and read this
You owe me a new computer

An' I says, "Stan, you prolly right."
Old 28/05/2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
If Ni is travelling in time in the mind, is Ne travelling in time IRL?
What would be an example of this?
Old 29/05/2010, 06:29 AM

well i was thinking dramatic changes like this can come from a certain tipping point or "black swan", prefaced by small changes that tip the scales either way. I mean if it does happen we will to adapt much faster.
A lie i know talks about the future in post apocalyptic terms, so much for XIE's inspiring view of the future. His advice goes:get guns and survival skills and train for being mad max. Food, water, drugs, gas,weapons, women, territory. And don't live directly on the coast.
Alot of the big disasters we really fail at prediciting (black swans or whatever you want to call them), but that doesnt mean you shouldn't prepare yourself for the ones we do know about.
And 2.5 degrees is not 10-15 so we have time to correct this.
Disasters are always waiting to happen, around the corner etc.
Old 29/05/2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
lol yeah. We just had such convo about ice caps on chatbox. Personally just happy to chill with a keg an watch the world n the girls go by (as the song goes..) for a while for a while.. gee where did the time go lol
that was relaxing to read
Old 29/05/2010, 03:27 PM

I think the important thing is that when temperatures diverge too far from the norm, the planet enters the "unexplored territory" of temperature change and it becomes difficult to predict what is going to happen. Among all the things that could happen, its pretty easy to determine that most are worse than what happens when temperature is kept stable.

/alarmist
Old 29/05/2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTesla View Post
I think the important thing is that when temperatures diverge too far from the norm, the planet enters the "unexplored territory" of temperature change and it becomes difficult to predict what is going to happen. Among all the things that could happen, its pretty easy to determine that most are worse than what happens when temperature is kept stable.

/alarmist
but maybe everything will just sort itself out, the balance of the world and all that

but maybe everything wont sort itself out and we're all doomed (although we ARE all going to die at some point anywho)
but if this is the case do we really as an individual have any power over the massive government and corporations who so dictate our lifestyles to be so excessive towards natural resources? its like the large majority of the choices you make have had a massive effect on the environment - water is being shipped from one country to another and then having a label stuck on it. but then on another extreme you get people dieing of diseases we dont even have to contemplate when we wake up like diarrhea. ive had diarrhea and its bad enough imagine DIEING FROM IT.... hmm.
on an individual level, yes, we can make good choices, but on a realistic making-a-big-change-to-everything i dont know, everything is so set in its ways. maybe we should all drop acid and reevaluate our ethics - that stuff fuelled the sixties and thats when people started caring about the environment (although this is becoming too much of a vague idea)

i really dont know but i have thought about it a bit. but no i have no idea what a good thing to do about it would be

epic tangent/ramble 'pologies.
Old 29/05/2010, 03:47 PM

Individual action is not the answer. For every puff of CO2 I don't let out in the atmosphere, a person that just doesn't give a shit has another inch of leeway to pollute as much as he wants. It'll lead to world in which the responsible "pay taxes" to the irresponsible, or might as well. And that is until the load becomes too much for us to bear and things come crashing down regardless of our level of goodwill towards the issue.
Old 29/05/2010, 04:17 PM

so you have to get in a position of power to change things. which means you'd probably need duality. but maybe obama will do that. although he said he'd take out the troops out of iraq for the sake of money but since then he has put troops into Afghanistan so that's a bit of a contradiction which could be representative of many more (but i might be jumping to a massive conclusion because im not that into politics)

or you could take an anarchist approach to it and just shut down power stations for a week or something like that and then send out television messages saying THE PLANETS SCREWED WE NEED TO CHANGE THINGS or something
but thats a bit more extreme.

orrr you could take another approach and try and teach religious philosophies so that people are less encouraged to buy stuff they dont really need. like the buddhist approaches of "resist all temptations to find higher satisfaction" or "happiness comes from within". and these beliefs coincide strongly with observations CARL JUNG made about his patients...
"I have frequently seen people become neurotic when they content themselves with inadequate or wrong answers to the questions of life (Jung, [1961] 1989:140)."
"The majority of my patients consisted not of believers but of those who had lost their faith (Jung, [1961] 1989:140)."
"[Contemporary man] is blind to the fact that, with all his rationality and efficiency, he is possessed by "powers" that are beyond his control. His gods and demons have not disappeared at all; they have merely got new names. They keep him on the run with restlessness, vague apprehensions, psychological complications, an insatiable need for pills, alcohol, tobacco, food – and, above all, a large array of neuroses. (Jung, 1964:82)."

and this also coincides with something my friend said about a programme he watched about some poor village in AFRICA - everyone was very very happy; they had no care for moneys (whether this is the cause or effect could be discussed)

but if you DO take a spiritual approach to these environmental problems then the INDIVIDUAL effect becomes the most important because we are much more then just the physical world and we're all just on our own spiritual journeys

MORE ABSTRACT TANGENTS

Last edited by goldgoldgold; 29/05/2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: 3rd paragraph idea
Old 29/05/2010, 08:02 PM

The thing is not about a disaster that is going to happen. But change. Disasters always happen, but radical changes happen rarely.

The human civilization progressed, and we are all looking to push it further. But the thing is, nature has been with us. We live in the holocene which has been an unusually stable period. Now change is close, so how things might change? Will the earth fry, or will it freeze as a response to global warming? How will this affect human civilization? Will humans disappear? (You know the dinosaurs were dominant like we are now, and a little hit of a comet caused their extinction. Maybe something similar will happen to us, in which case it will be a sort of a change for the earth).

I don't view anything as a disaster. It is just the universe under motion.

If change happens while we are alive, then I think we are lucky because we will see it. That's the good side of it. I am bored how the earth has been quite stable for 11 000 years. I want to see radical changes: climate change, new species appearing and others getting extinct, new botany...

If change happens then everything we are doing right now would be useless. It will end! So don't cry on anything, that's my philosophy.
Old 29/05/2010, 09:54 PM

thats true that is quite an exciting prospect! i like your perspective. its not bad or good; just different. very abstract. i saw a quote at a tube station that was part of a set on philosophical ideas.
it read "the greatest nature exists without humans"

complicator complexer theres this film with will smith called "i am legend" where humanity has died out, you might like the perspective they take on what everything looks like as a result

theres also this article i found based on the same idea:
http://gothamist.com/2007/06/29/world.php
and i found another inadvertently looking for that one:
http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...he-jungle/5989

this supports the idea that the only thing worth doing (because on an instantaneous level it has no worth in doing) is art!

Old 29/05/2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I am bored how the earth has been quite stable for 11 000 years. I want to see radical changes: climate change, new species appearing and others getting extinct, new botany....
wow, you lived through all those boring 11 000 years? ; you must be the oldest person i've ever spoken to!