Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 26/01/2010, 04:51 PM

Default Feedback on Type

I've studied socionics for some time. I have to admit that I'm not completely convinced of my type. I thought I'd create a thread to obtain some feedback from those of you with experience.

I'll break this down into two separate posts - test result statistics, and details about me.

Results stats
:
Below are some of my test results. Bear in mind, tests are not all created equal. Nonetheless, I think you'll be able to capture the general theme or direction.

Multiple Intelligence: Visual, Logical, Intrapersonal
Oldham: Somewhere in the range of - Idiosyncratic, Solitary, Sensitive
Big Five/sloan: mostly |R|COEI, sometimes |R|CUEI
Enneagram: Mostly 5, sometimes 4.
Brain test: Balanced left and right
Socionics (socionics.com test)
socionics.com test: INTp
other tests: mostly INTp, sometimes INTj
MBTI: mostly INTP, Sometimes INTJ, INFJ

About me
Childhood: quiet, timid/shy. enjoyed science, math & art, disliked writing assignments and public speaking. Overall good student in most subjects. I usually liked to figure things out on my own. I didn't ask for much help. Some comments from teachers: good student, I let myself get distracted, I don't pay attention to details, could do better if I applied myself. At home, feedback received: serious, sensitive, doubting thomas, negative, creative and 'the inteligent one'. I liked my time alone. I had friends, although only a few close ones. Socializing was awkward. Found family gatherings difficult.

Adult:
Education: I value learning, education, knowledge, competence. A symbol of achievement and mastery is the 'degree'. Unfortunately, I'm not disciplined enough to follow through to complete the requirements, and I have difficulty staying focused on mastering one topic. Some subjects require volumes of memorization - too much for me to process. I'm not a fast reader, and I like to take my time to digest the information and think about the implications and associations. Also, I had difficulty being convinced of some theories, and didn't want to accept them as 'true' even though I had no evidence to disprove them. Many years later, I've found my intuition was correct and some theories I had doubts about were in fact found to be untrue. I managed to obtain a technical diploma to say I completed something. However, I'm a lifelong learner, and continue to seek out information and knowledge in my spare time.

Career: I achieve at underachieving. Maybe, a bit of a late bloomer. I usually have a hard time staying put in one place. I don't like routine tasks. One common theme is project planning/management, although, I don't really care to hold tight reins on the details of the project. I usually have a vision of where I want to go, and follow it. But, I usually like some flexibility and creativity to achieve the goal. I've been successful at completing some difficult projects.

Friendships/Social/Emotional Sphere: I have a couple close friendships, mainly relatives. Outside of that, there are many acquaintances. I spend alot of time at home, reading and thinking. Not much of a talker or touchy-feely. I'm fairly protective of my time and space. I'm careful with social commitments, try not not get involved too deeply. I don't initiate much. I'm not a fan of overly expressive relations. I like it tempered and calm. My least favorite punctuation mark is the exclamation mark. Anything more than one can irritate me. Overuse of capitalization and bold can be fairly offensive as well.

Appearance: plain, dress for comfort. I cut my hair maybe once a year.

Hobbies/Interests:
stockchart analysis: I cannot tell you how many hours and days I've spent researching technical analysis, building a trading system, back-testing, tweaking and more back-testing, building a new system, etc. I was introduced to technical analysis when I invested in a stock, and it tanked. I bought into the simple principle, buy low sell high. I started researching investing by fundamental analysis/conventional methods and couldn't handle the time horizon and the fact that I found too many contradictions. I came across 'chartists', navigating by technical analysis, and was hooked - not by the potential for making millions, but, by the simple predictive value technical analysis offers. So, I chased after the holy grail, to become a competent 'chartist' with my very own system. My problem now is to stay motivated to watch the markets on a daily basis. It's not unusual for me to walk away bored and miss a good move.

photography: I've been attracted to photography since a young child. I was emotional moved when I received my first 'real' camera as a christmas gift. Technology and creativity combined. Composition and quality, with minimal editing effort - is the theme for me. I document my travels and activities, try to master some of the principles (macrophotography), and enjoy capturing images and impressions at unique angles or lighting. I have a preference for landscape and abstract photography. I've had quite a few people react positively to my photos to the point of taking my framed photos off the wall and asking me to autograph them to take home. However, I usually don't like to share my photos publicly. Most of my best photos are just sitting on my hard drive.

Religion: Best described as atheist.

Last edited by Nik; 26/01/2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 26/01/2010, 05:35 PM

You are missing some vital information here, which would tip the balance either in favor of INTp (ILI) or INTj (LII).

Describe your interactions with: ENTp (ILE), ISFp (SEI), ESFj (ESE), ISFj (ESI), ENTj (LIE), and ESFp (SEE).

Socionics is a theory of type interactions. Only knowing your traits provides only part of the puzzle.

If you are INTp, then you should notice that you interact in a certain way with people in the Gamma quadra (LIE, SEE, ESI, ILI).

If you are INTj, then you should notice the described interactions with members of Alpha quadra (ILE, SEI, LII, ESE).

Hope this helps.
Old 26/01/2010, 07:10 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Socionics is also about information elements and metabolism. And, I believe I've provided a fair amount about which information elements I tend to prefer/use and how. It's just not clear to me which ones are dominant.

I'm aware of intertype relations. In theory, I can understand the principles. Unfortunately, it hasn't done much to enlighten me on my type. This is why my description weighs more on IM. Also, I don't socialize much, so, it's difficult for me to elaborate on my interactions. I don't read people very well. I think I alluded to this in my post - that I don't care for big doses of affection and emotional expression/extremism or pushy people. Safe to say, I think, I'm not Beta. I can see sharing some quadra values with Alpha, and some with Gamma. My preference is to interact with people who are fairly laid back, who do not impose commitments or force their views upon me. I'm mildly reactive to the word 'should'. From my experience, I see "Ejs" more than likely to use this word.

While I suggest my type choices are narrowed to INTp or INTj, I'm open to other suggestions as well.
Old 26/01/2010, 07:25 PM
The Looks

INTp > INTj

An' I says, "Stan, you prolly right."
Old 26/01/2010, 08:31 PM

At the moment, I think I agree with Stan. Nik, you seem to dislike Fe from what I can see.
Old 26/01/2010, 09:24 PM

I suppose it's not so much hating Fe. Fe is good in moderation, and has its purpose. My natural reaction is to temper it or avoid it altogether.
Old 26/01/2010, 09:28 PM

That's what I meant: I didn't mean "dislike" as in, think it is bad or wrong... I simply meant "dislike" as in, it makes you uncomfortable.
Old 27/01/2010, 10:51 AM
Gone on holiday...

Could be any type imo, sorry.
Old 28/01/2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat View Post
That's what I meant: I didn't mean "dislike" as in, think it is bad or wrong... I simply meant "dislike" as in, it makes you uncomfortable.
Interesting you say 'dislike' as you originally typed 'hate' in your first post, then edited it. I've seen you use the word hate in another post as well. Based on your profile and your strong expressions, I would have pegged you as an EFj, maybe IFj. You come across as someone who is not just enthusiastic, but, strongly emotional with somewhat strong black and white views - Love, Hate, etc. In any case, you know yourself. Thanks for your input, Kittykat.

I was hoping for more analysis on my type, but, I guess I've not provided enough. I'll just leave the thread peter out. If anyone wishes to provide input, I'll be happy to provide more details via PM.
Old 28/01/2010, 04:44 AM

Benchmark INTp, if you ask me!

The most interesting part: although I know this was true - it is somehow written in the descriptions, I never head an INTp saying this so clearly and decisively.
Quote:
Many years later, I've found my intuition was correct and some theories I had doubts about were in fact found to be untrue.
I'm an ENTp and I find the opposite clearly manifesting in me: I suspect something to be true but have no proof or reason for it, but much later that theory confirms. If I talked about that with someone else and the the conclusion is provable, measurable I use to say "I told you?!" and become energetic, you know like those guys in UFC who knock the adversary down in seconds and they begin showing off like wanting to beat someone else .
Old 28/01/2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai_m View Post
Benchmark INTp, if you ask me!
I appreciate your input, mihai_m. I would not have considered myself a benchmark INTp.

Quote:
The most interesting part: although I know this was true - it is somehow written in the descriptions, I never head an INTp saying this so clearly and decisively.

I'm an ENTp and I find the opposite clearly manifesting in me: I suspect something to be true but have no proof or reason for it, but much later that theory confirms. If I talked about that with someone else and the the conclusion is provable, measurable I use to say "I told you?!" and become energetic, you know like those guys in UFC who knock the adversary down in seconds and they begin showing off like wanting to beat someone else .
Yes, I can visualize this, lol. I suppose I'm the opposite, and your comments are interesting since we are similar, yet contrasting in the way we perceive things and events. While it pleases me to know I was right, my outward reaction is subdued. I react at the beginning, trying to point out what seems clear to me. Unfortunately, very few understand what I'm trying to say, and I end up frustrated having to wait long periods of time to finally have people 'see the light', so to speak. I'm not always right, of course. I don't typically make my intuitions public knowledge.
Old 29/01/2010, 04:49 AM

Probably INTp.

Increased expression of one function (1) suppresses the opposing intradichotomy function and (2) suppresses the opposing intrablock function (and vise versa).
Old 29/01/2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
I suppose I'm the opposite, and your comments are interesting since we are similar, yet contrasting in the way we perceive things and events. While it pleases me to know I was right, my outward reaction is subdued. I react at the beginning, trying to point out what seems clear to me. Unfortunately, very few understand what I'm trying to say, and I end up frustrated having to wait long periods of time to finally have people 'see the light', so to speak. I'm not always right, of course. I don't typically make my intuitions public knowledge.
Yeah... the problem of INTp's is that they're very undecided. I can take for granted something I "feel" that is true and go with it before it reveals true.
Take for example, now I decided to buy a cello, I pretty suck at guitar (I can record, but not play live) but I "am sure" that I'll be good at this instrument, all the day I talk with my gf telling her that the investment will be not in vain, because she thinks that I'll abandon training at some point.
I fell this, but I can't explain, future will tell.

I have an INTp friend, it took years for him to decide his type, first of all he was undecided what system to use, MBTI/Keirsey or Socionics. From the moment I acknowledged some differences between the two/three, I realized that Socionics will be our choice, it became mine from that moment, actually. Then he went on a long trip for his type and in the end he realized that he's an INTp, not an INTj, using Socionics as well.
Old 30/01/2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai_m View Post
I have an INTp friend, it took years for him to decide his type, first of all he was undecided what system to use, MBTI/Keirsey or Socionics. From the moment I acknowledged some differences between the two/three, I realized that Socionics will be our choice, it became mine from that moment, actually. Then he went on a long trip for his type and in the end he realized that he's an INTp, not an INTj, using Socionics as well.
There are definite differences in the systems, there is not doubt. But, I think deciding on what system to use is only part of the problem. I think introverted intuition is a function/information element that is generally not well understood or explained in most cases. So, it's not unreasonable for types to be 'lost in the woods', trying to figure out their type. And, if one is unusually strong in what should be weaker or normally less developed function, then it makes the process particularly tedious.
Old 10/04/2010, 01:17 PM

Following up on further discussions with mihai/pinocchio, this is to confirm I am the same Nik as on 16types.

Any other members have further feedback on my type? I am open to comments/opinions. Thanks.
Old 10/04/2010, 10:21 PM

I'm going to keep banging on cognitive modality. To paraphrase what a credentialed MBTI practitioner stated elsewhere on this site, the mind can be considered as a house of several rooms, each one representing an information element. While utilizing and occupying them all to some degree, an individual will favor one or more rooms (i.e. modes of thought) over others and arrange their preference for these rooms into a dynamic hierarchy (i.e. type). The difficulty many have solidly placing themselves into one type or another points to this cognitive flexibility, which will show itself over time and according to an individual's desire, will, and necessity, especially where the Jungian shadow comes into play.

Beware, too, the power of pareidolia and confirmation bias when labeling yourself just because a psychometric test of arguable scientific merit provided you with a flattering and/or seemingly accurate result. (Self-)perception often trumps reality, and that's what specious arguments are made of. There's valuable information to be found in examining all types and inter-type relations, but holding the firm belief that one is exclusively one type or another is unrealistic, limiting, and possibly hazardous.

If anyone would like to refill this bucket with cold water I'll be out walking my dog through the monkeyhouse and trying to decide which side of the bars I'm standing on.
Old 11/04/2010, 02:05 PM
Gone on holiday...

Quote:
Following up on further discussions with mihai/pinocchio, this is to confirm I am the same Nik as on 16types.

Any other members have further feedback on my type? I am open to comments/opinions. Thanks.
Don't you mean you are somavision/king?
Old 11/04/2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Don't you mean you are somavision/king?
I figured someone would want to make a point of this. No, I'm not somavision, although, I have nothing to offer to prove it. Maybe IP addresses associated with our accounts. You have my permission to ask tereg to confirm they are different.
Old 11/04/2010, 06:18 PM
The Looks

Quote:
I figured someone would want to make a point of this. No, I'm not somavision, although, I have nothing to offer to prove it. Maybe IP addresses associated with our accounts. You have my permission to ask tereg to confirm they are different.
I'm really confused why everyone questions your identity...

An' I says, "Stan, you prolly right."
Old 11/04/2010, 06:41 PM
Gone on holiday...

Quote:
Fair enough, I apologise. He set up a couple of fake accounts and would simultaneously use them when posting on threads (oh, I know because he admitted it on one of threads - I think your account popped up at same time and some other stuff), anyway, perhaps you're not, fair enough.