Go Back   Socionics Forums > Ramble Mumble

Ramble Mumble Anything goes, but please make an effort to stay positive and keep it socionics related.

Old 07/06/2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble with this. If i am a ESTp Ti and my Dual is a INFp Ni then I could have better relations with All Alphas who are subtype Ti or Fe than i do with my dual? And if how well a relationship is going to go is indicated by the distance between each type on the circle with two types being at the same point on the circle being the 'optimal' or 'best fit' for compatability then in the scenario where i am SLE Ti (Very heavy subtype,practically on the line between beta and alpha) and my Dual is IEI Ni (Again practically on the line between beta and gamma) Then i could in this theory have relationships with all Deltas who are of the Ne/Si subtype and those relations would carry about the same amount of compatability as those i have with my opposite subtype dual. This confuses me, do i have something wrong?
Let me break this down for you as simply as I can. Let's assume you are ESTp-Ti with the following relative function strengths in your mental bock:
1. Se: 32.5%
2. Ti: 42.5%
3. Ne: 17.5%
4. Fi: 7.5%

And in your vital block:
5. Ni: 17.5%
6. Fe: 7.5%
7. Si: 32.5%
8. Te: 42.5%

For the mental block, relative function strength is directly correlated to relative function use. More importantly, these values can be used to calculate how much you value each IM element relative to the others (remember that the closer two people value the same IM elements, the greater the psychological compatibility will be). You value each IM element in the following proportions:

Mental Block (direct conversion between function/IM use and value):
1. Se: 32.5%
2. Ti: 42.5%
3. Ne: 17.5%
4. Fi: 7.5%

Vital block (inverse conversion between function/IM use and value):
5. Ni: 32.5%
6. Fe: 42.5%
7. Si: 17.5%
8. Te: 7.5%

From these hypothetical numbers, you value Ti and Fe the most. But note you are extremely weak in Fe (7.5% of your vital block). Thus your ideal would need an Fe subtype of 42.5% relative Fe function strength to compensate for your weakness (50 - 7.5). You and your ideal dual should have a combined (sum) function strength equal to 50 for each of your 8 functions. The more deviation there are between function sums, the worse the psychological compatibility will be.

The conclusion is this: If you are an ESTp-Ti, your ideal match would be an INFp-Fe. And even more importantly, an ISFp-Fe may be a more psychologically compatible match than an INFp-Ni! This will depend on the numbers. Using a similar analysis to the one above, I will show you numerical examples of an ISFp and INFp where the ISFp is more psychologically compatible:

ISFP-Fe mental block:
1. Si: 27.5%
2. Fe: 47.5%
3. Ni: 22.5%
4. Te: 2.5%

INFp-Ni mental block:
1. Ni: 47.5%
2. Fe: 27.5%
3. Si: 2,5%
4. Te: 22.5%

Now add these function strengths to your functions that share the same IM element:

ESTp-Ti + ISFp-Fe
Ni: 17.5% + 22.5% =40%
Fe: 7.5% + 47.5% = 55%
Si: 32.5% + 27.5% = 60%
Te: 42.5% + 2.5% = 45%

Average deviation (from goal of 50) = 7.5%

As you can see, all these sums are fairly close to 50 (50 being the ideal goal using this particular methodology). Now compare this to the less ideal INFp-Ni:

ESTp-Ti + INFp-Ni
Ni: 17.5% + 47.5% =65%
Fe: 7.5% + 27.5% = 35%
Si: 32.5% + 2.5% = 35%
Te: 42.5% + 22.5% = 65%

Average deviation (from goal of 50) = 15%

The INFp-Ni has twice the average deviation that the ISFp-Fe had! Thus in this particular case, the ISFp-Fe would be the more ideal match. This just examines function strength. But use these two examples to also match up deviation in how much each IM element is valued gives the following result (remember the closer the values for each IM element, the greater the psychological compatibility):

ESTp-Ti + ISFp-Fe
Ni: 32.5% - 22.5% = 10%
Fe: 42.5% - 47.5% = 5%
Si: 17.5% - 27.5% = 10%
Te: 7.5% - 2.5% = 5%

Average deviation as to shared value (goal is identical values) = 7.5%

ESTp-Ti + INFp-Ni
Ni: 32.5% - 47.5% = 15%
Fe: 42.5% - 27.5% = 15%
Si: 17.5% - 2.5% = 15%
Te: 7.5% - 22.5% = 15%

Average deviation as to shared value (goal is identical values) = 15%

Not surprisingly, the deviation is again doubled for the INFp! It is best to compare both strength and value when analyzing psychological compatibility, with shared value > complimentary strengths, but both are important.

Let's compare your numbers to an balanced INTj to test for psychological compatibility:

IM strength comparison:
1. Se: 32.5% + 12.5 = 45%
2. Ti: 42.5% + 37.5% = 80%
3. Ne: 17.5% + 37.5% = 55%
4. Fi: 7.5% + 12.5% = 20%

Average deviation for IM strengths (from goal of 50): 17.5%
This is slightly worse than the INFp-Ni we tested earlier. Now let's look at the more important shared value comparison:

IM value comparison:
1. Se: 32.5% - 12.5% = 20%
2. Ti: 42.5% - 37.5% = 5%
3. Ne: 17.5% - 37.5% = 20%
4. Fi: 7.5% - 12.5% = 5%

Average deviation (goal is for values to be identical): 12.5%
This is an improvement over the INFp-Ni.

Thus it can be said that the INFp-Fi above provides more complimentary function strengths while the balanced INTj provides more complimentary IM values (i.e., the INTj and ESTp-Ti value IM elements more similarly than the ESTp and INFp do).

It should be noted that for an identical relationship, complimentary function strengths will be lacking, but the two people will value their IM elements the same.

Increased expression of one function (1) suppresses the opposing intradichotomy function and (2) suppresses the opposing intrablock function (and vise versa).
Old 07/06/2009, 03:45 PM
The WILDCARD!

Ok, thanks! The theory now makes sense to me, but I am going to have to remain a skeptic until I have a chance to test it out.
"IT'S ALL DAY!"