View Single Post
Old 17/05/2010, 02:20 AM
Quarantined

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
I don't think music preference is type related. There might be a slight correlation between quadra values and certain lyrics and messages.

I'll participate anyway.

ENFp
My tastes are very rock-centric, mainly classic rock, esp. progressive. Most of the music I listen to is from the late 60s through 80s. My absolute favorite band is Rush, followed by the Beatles. I'm not really into a lot of mainstream modern rock, but I do like a lot of pop music. I generally dislike hip-hop, metal, and emo. I pretty much despise rap and country. Even within the genres I dislike, there are still a few songs/bands that I enjoy from them.
I've seen this topic discussed on other forums from the discussions I've seen, there doesn't appear to be much of a correlation between music preference and type. As Stan said, I agree that its not so much the style of music that's type related but possibly the lyrical content is.

But that said, my tastes are very similar to Stans and we are very different types. I tend to like a lot of classic rock/oldies, including music made well before my time. I also enjoy classical, jazz, and electronica. I tend to dislike more often than not heavy metal, rap, and country. But occassionally I'll find a song I like in those genres. There's no genre I like or dislike entirely. I go more by the song itself and don't really have favorite artists per se.

Also, I tend to pay little attention to the lyrics and more on the rhythm and melody.

What I suspect may be more type related is not so much what type of music we prefer listening to but the listening habits themselves.

These were some questions I raised on another forum, interested to see what you think:

#1) Are you more inclined to listen to music based on your current mood? Are you one of those people who has a preset playlist based on different moods and situations?

OR

Do you just know that you are in the mood for some music but don't know precisely what you're in the mood for until you hear it?

OR

Do you take on the mood of the song you're currently listening to at the time?

#2) Are you inclined to have a few favorite pieces that you can listen to over and over again and never tire of.

OR

Do you find that even you get bored easily after repeated listenings of something, even your favorites.

#3) Are you inclined to enjoy exploring new styles of music, including those that are very different from what you're accustomed to hearing.

OR

Do you find you primarily stick to a certain genre and while you may enjoy exploring different artists within that genre, you don't feel much need to venture out beyond that.

As for myself:

#1 I'm a little bit like of each of these but I don't make playlists. I think I'm most like the second option of the three. I can take on the mood of what's currently playing up to a certain point. If the mood of the music playing is *too* different from my current mood, I'm not that likely to take on the mood of the music. I might find it kind of annoying if I'm in a melancholy mood and the music around me is really upbeat.

#2 The first option. When I was younger I would play the same song over and over up to the annoyance of my family.

#3 The first option. Even though there are some songs I can listen to over and over, I also like listening to a wide variety of styles of music and discovering completely new things that I find I like.

Would you like you for a child?