View Single Post
Old 03/03/2006, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Belief and Intelligence

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaquerist:

The implication as I understand is that u are strong in ur belief that ppl who believe unverifiable facts are too simple and lacking in intelligence.
I would prefer:

"The implication as I believe is that u are strong in ur understanding that ppl who believe unverifiable facts are too simple and lacking in intelligence."

Belief:

1. The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or confidence in another
2. Mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or validity of something
3. Something believed or accepted as true, especially a particular tenet or a body of tenets accepted by a group of persons.

My understanding of the problem is none of the above and I appreciate if you can comprehend that one can also understand things without believing in them. In this particular case I can see a logical connection between capacity to believe and intelligence. If someone expresses an opinion, does he or she express their belief? Not necessarily. So let's just call things by their names from now on, shall we?

The secret of bending the spoons: "Bend them when nobody's watching" is that simple by the way.