Socionics Forums

Socionics Forums (http://www.socionics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ramble Mumble (http://www.socionics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Altered Personality (http://www.socionics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266)

Scorbolt 23/01/2007 02:40 AM

Altered Personality

I was wondering what you folks thought about what might cause someones personality to change. Can someones personality be completely altered from being in a situation which suppresses certain types?

I ask this as I've been through some fairly rough times lately and it seems to me that the way I see and respond to things has changed quite drastically.

BLauritson 23/01/2007 05:59 PM

I know the general consensus is that your personality type can't change, although type isn't the only aspect of personality. I think it's perfectly possible for certain aspects of your personality to change, whether it be through environment, illness, etc.. I think your natural personality doesn't change, but you can learn to "emulate", if you will, an alternative personality for the sake of survival.

That's my thoughts anyway, I don't know what others would have to say on the matter.

hehe 13/03/2007 07:00 AM

i find that types are born, and neither will the intertype relations u do with others.

WhyMustWeKill 18/04/2007 07:02 PM

mypersonal opinion

My personal opinion is that a person can become their mirror type, via an ENTp becoming an INTj or vice versa. Research has shown that the level of extroverted traits in a person can change over time. This I believe is a shift between the mirror types.

Epic 18/04/2007 07:05 PM

The mirror of ENTj is INTp. ENTj and INTj are contrarys.

But I do agree that level of extroversion can change. Most recently I have tested as INTp or INTj. Of course my knowledge about Socionics might impact what the results are.

I still maintain I am ENTp though :wink:

WhyMustWeKill 18/04/2007 07:10 PM

yea i know... that was a mistype... ENTp and INTj
thanks for correcting me

SG 18/04/2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhyMustWeKill (Post 4366)
My personal opinion is that a person can become their mirror type, via an ENTj becoming an INTj or vice versa. Research has shown that the level of extroverted traits in a person can change over time. This I believe is a shift between the mirror types.

Why do you think that? Is it some personal experience you want to tell us about? :eek:

WhyMustWeKill 18/04/2007 07:15 PM

just a personal opinion... ENTp to INTj and vice versa that is

Epic 18/04/2007 07:47 PM

I remember talking to you about this a while back. You were talking about how mirrors are basically the same thing. In terms of what functions are in their ego functions i see what you mean. But there seemed to also be something budding that you were trying to grasp. It will be interesting to hear what your conclusions are about this.

ValerieUGA 19/04/2007 06:02 AM

Your type can change if there is something that interferes with the brain's cognitive function, such as injury, illness or severe trauma. For example, if a man suffered a brain injury that disallowed or dramatically diminished a dominate intuitive functions (consequence, context) the hierarchy is reassembled and less dominate functions are developed.

Type is a description of cognitive function and preference, not a biological force. Your psyche is adaptable, thankfully.

Epic 19/04/2007 07:54 AM

That is an interesting perspective to take and also a bold one. :shifty:

ValerieUGA 19/04/2007 06:04 PM

It's not that bold. The brain will adapt and learn not to access a damaged function and develop others. This will lead to a new conditioned cognitive response and a new preference. But that is not to say that one isn't born with a genetic predisposition to certain preferences. One just isn't SOL if a trauma is experienced.

Epic 19/04/2007 10:33 PM

In terms of socionics, yes, I think it is a bit of a premature idea. Still a good idea though.

shadowpuppet 29/04/2018 03:53 PM

I think that stress can cause someone to get alternate test results.