Socionics Forums

Socionics Forums (http://www.socionics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ramble Mumble (http://www.socionics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Pull the Plug (http://www.socionics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625)

ValerieUGA 07/09/2007 09:46 PM

Pull the Plug

Just out of curiosity, I thought I'd get other people's opinion on artificially sustained life. Me? I say, let me live! Don't pull the plug. What if being in a coma is the best thing ever? What if it's like ice cream everyday and running around naked on clouds with other- very attractive- naked people. Even if it's not, I sure as hell think it's better than dying, gotta be. I don't understand why some people have this mentality that suffering is worse than death. Isn't death the ultimate suffering? I could never make that decision for anyone. Not even a pet.

But I also have an unreasonable fear of death. And the color purple. But that's another post for another day.

hkkmr 07/09/2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValerieUGA (Post 6995)
Just out of curiosity, I thought I'd get other people's opinion on artificially sustained life. Me? I say, let me live! Don't pull the plug. What if being in a coma is the best thing ever? What if it's like ice cream everyday and running around naked on clouds with other- very attractive- naked people. Even if it's not, I sure as hell think it's better than dying, gotta be. I don't understand why some people have this mentality that suffering is worse than death. Isn't death the ultimate suffering? I could never make that decision for anyone. Not even a pet.

But I also have an unreasonable fear of death. And the color purple. But that's another post for another day.

Yea.. but what if it was terminal cancer and you need a morphine drip just to keep yourself from writhing in pain. :sweatdrop:

BLauritson 07/09/2007 10:15 PM

My understanding of the "suffering is worse than death" (one which I agree with to a certain extent) is that, in death, you can't *feel* any pain or suffering. Which, although some may disagree, others would consider a better alternative to actually suffering. Think of it as a pleasure scale - when you're in a state of pleasure, the scale would read positive. When you're in a state of suffering, the scale would read negative. In death, the scale would read zero.

ValerieUGA 07/09/2007 10:19 PM

In death, there would be no scale.

SG 07/09/2007 11:04 PM

Well, unless there is a constitutional right for everyone to be life supported in vegetable state, it's up to doctor's opinion I'm afraid.

BLauritson 08/09/2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValerieUGA (Post 7000)
In death, there would be no scale.

Which some would consider better than a negative scale. 'twas the point I'm trying to make.

ValerieUGA 08/09/2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SG (Post 7002)
Well, unless there is a constitutional right for everyone to be life supported in vegetable state, it's up to doctor's opinion I'm afraid.

Not to self: Garner support for non-death amendment.

Epic 12/09/2007 10:49 PM

I wouldn't want someone wiping my ass for me.

SG 13/09/2007 05:48 PM

Yes you would.

Epic 13/09/2007 06:00 PM

would you?

SG 13/09/2007 06:12 PM

Why would I want to wipe your arse for you?

Neda 13/09/2007 10:19 PM

If it was about my life/death, I'd prefer to die - it sounds far more interesting than just vegetating and waiting. Death sounds like an adventure to me, maybe a bit risky but still interesting.
But if it was about someone else, I'd never say to be killed. Euthanasia should be chosen in my opinion - how could a doctor decide whether you live or die?

SG 13/09/2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neda (Post 7070)
Death sounds like an adventure to me, maybe a bit risky but still interesting.

You should book a perm bed in reanimation room. Think about it, every time you die they bring you back, what an adventure!

Neda 13/09/2007 11:58 PM

HaHa
That sounds challenging.. and even more risky (;